Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW PSU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jay7evern

jay7evern

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hey I'm new to the forum and was searching google for s website that could help me with a few things. I came across this forum and thought i would sign up hoping for a bit of help :)

Any way my PSU is failing so i need to purchase a new one. I am also going to buy a new gfx card in the near future so want to go for one with a little more power. The only problem is i don't have a clue what psu would fit my pc, are all psu's a standard size or are they different?

I was thinking of getting something like one of these

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/components-upgrades/other-components/power-supplies/corsair-cx600-fixed-atx-psu-600-w-21891337-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/components-upgrades/other-components/power-supplies/coolermaster-v-series-v650s-semi-modular-atx-psu-650-w-10118461-pdt.html#

These are my specs below if that helps. Thanks for your help in advance :)

Computer Type PC/Desktop 
System Manufacturer/Model Number Advent DT2111 
OS Windows 7 
CPU Intel Core i5 2320 quad core
Graphics Card AMD HD6670 2Gb 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

I don't know 'Advent' computers, some companies have their own special (proprietary) parts that only fit in their computers. Most don't. Both of the links you have show the dimensions of the PSU so you should be able to check and see if they will fit. If they're the same size, the mounting screw holes should line up.

Both, Corsair and Coolermaster, are good brands. Personally, I would go for the larger PSU. :blink:

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and correct it. :chef:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 jay7evern

jay7evern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Well i have just taking some measurements of my current PSU and they seem to more or less be the same size as the one i'v got. There was a couple of MM difference but i'm putting that down to my bad measuring skills haha. I'm going to order the cool master i think, Just curious though, will this have the correct connections to plug into my motherboard?

Also while i'm here im wondering if i wanted to get a nicer looking PC case would my Motherboard and parts fit straight into another case or does that depend?

Edited by jay7evern, 22 February 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Your current PSU has a sticker with its specs, you might have to pull the side panel. 

Edited by OldPhil, 22 February 2015 - 09:00 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

J

ust curious though, will this have the correct connections to plug into my motherboard?

Also while i'm here im wondering if i wanted to get a nicer looking PC case would my Motherboard and parts fit straight into another case or does that depend?

Yes, it probably has more connections than you will use. 

It would depend on the size of the case and the size of the board. If the board is a known brand like Asus or Gigabyte the mounting holes in the case should line up to the board. If the case is large enough. If it's a proprietary board, I couldn't tell you.

I'm not an expert, I haven't built a computer in 5 years. A lot changes in that amount of time, but I'm fairly certain of what I've told you. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users