Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS Boot Menu Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Techcom Inc.

Techcom Inc.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

I am interested in altering the displayed boot order for a multi-boot machine which is currently running Ubuntu, Windows 7, and Linux Mint (this is not a BIOS device boot order but a OS boot selection menu). Upon starting this computer, It will display all three of these operating systems for boot selection in the order listed above. In addition, if nothing is selected in about 5 seconds, it will automatically boot from the top selection (Ubuntu). I would like to be able to change this primary choice. If anyone has any information as to how this page can be altered, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time and knowledge. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:07 PM

Hi :welcome:  To BC

Are you using grub?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/how-do-i-change-the-grub-boot-order

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

The screen you are refering to is a boot-manager, in this case GRUB2's boot-manager. Under Linux Mint (or Ubuntu) you can edit the default selection using the steps below:

1. In your terminal type "sudo -i". This elevates you to root priviledges. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU TYPE BECAUSE ROOT HAS PERMISSION TO DO ANYTHING.
2. In your terminal type "nano /etc/default/grub". This is opens the GRUB2 file you need to edit in a command line text editor called Nano.
3. Using Nano you can now change "GRUB_DEFAULT=0" to the number for your desired default entry. Then use the "control" key + the "o" key to save, press "enter" to finish saving, and then press "control" + "x" to exit Nano.
4. You will need to update GRUB2 so, in your terminal type "update-grub".

5. In terminal type "exit". This will take you out of root and back to your non-elevated user.

Keep in mind that this only changes which entry is booted by default, they will still display in the same order on your boot-manager screen.

- REF: [Search UUID: 1wlI75TQW58QLb3PwJYbLQ5=SJ54Nqd@bdnxG2yguX8ofas%eUIaYl#R0AM& ]

#4 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Nick's idea is good, I've read that before.   Or the way I do it is with a grub customizer.  I don't use terminal a lot, still uncomfortable with it.  If you don't have a boot customizer, you can download one from the ubuntu repository.  Y can set the boot order, and how long you have to look at it before it boots itself.  I also have options for recovery boots, etc.  This is an alternative to using terminal.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users