Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard no longer functions after plugging in external keyboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caracarusx321

caracarusx321

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

After plugging in my external keyboard, both my external and laptop keyboard no longer function. The keyboards cannot type or execute shortcut commands. When clicking download links it results in downloading download.htm, pressing F results in opening the browser menu in chrome, and clicking website links results in downloading url.htm. This problem persists after unplugging the keyboard but only seems to begin after the external keyboard has been plugged in. After a restart computer use without plugging in the external keyboard results in no issues, though I haven't done so for extended periods of time. The external keyboard functions normally when plugged into another computer, though it was a Mac, so I'm not sure if the different operating system could have an effect here.

I've run a Malwarebytes scan already and it didn't pick up anything. I think it's likely a virus, but I can generally just use Malwarebytes to solve the vast majority of my problems so I don't know where to go from here. At the moment I'm running a Spybot search and destroy scan to see if that picks up anything Malwarebytes could have missed.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Edit: Spybot managed to pick up and delete a virus called win32.downloader.gen, I also ran TDSSkiller and picked up no root kits. The problems still seems to occur.

Edit: I have used the computer without plugging in the external keyboard for several hours without issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

No replies here yet ....

Download and scan with Adwcleaner. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Copy and paste the log in this thread or read the instructions carefully on how to use ADWCleaner on the linked Webpage.

Which Brand is your external keyboard?

I am thinking there might be a driver conflict and you may be able to fix it by downloading the latest drivers from the keyboard manufacturer's Website.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

From what you describe, it sounds like a compatability issue between your external keyboard and OS (or problem with the usb port), especially since the computer works fine if you don't use it.

The next step I would recommend is to try using a different external keyboard.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 caracarusx321

caracarusx321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

My brand is a Corsair K70, its really odd since I was using it regularly and it suddenly decided to stop working. I'll try out a different external keyboard when I find one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users