Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extracting underlying link from Youtube videos

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

I notice a number of utilities that allow you to download Youtube videos but can't find a utility that strips the skin off the Youtube video thus removing those annoying sidebar links and extraneous data on the page and leaves you with the actual video URL Once a company sends a link to Youtube, that link is dressed up with Youtube sidebars.  What utilities show you the underlying link you can run that directly without the other links and data that appears on the side of the page in Youtube?.

Edited by godzilla1347, 21 February 2015 - 07:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

I don't think that can be done. However, if you're using Adblock Plus, there are special filters for YouTube videos:

https://youtube.adblockplus.me/en/

Or, you can try the YouTube Anywhere Player and CleanTube extensions.

Edited by Phantom010, 21 February 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

The problem is that a company I work with sends out videos from a playlist and it's impssible to get these videos in people's hands because you have to take 5 steps to find these videos from a promotional site they have. If you look to use Netvidhunter to copy the embedded code, it works for a day and then the code changes with an alias daily. But you can right click on the video once it's playing and copy the URL. Unfortunately, that sets up as a Youtube video and then you're stuck with all those sidebar links and Youtube icons but doesn't change daily and continues to link.   Using clean tube removes most of this from my system but if I were to send the copied link to others, all the Youtube nonsense goes with it. Personally, I would rather not use Youtube at all and simply find a way of deriving the actual link from the company video but don't know how to do this.

In every other instance, I can do that with other videos with netvidhunter but with this particular site, the captured code changes daily and thus the link stops working. It is also over 800 characters long and that seems unusual for a video link. It starts with https://r3

I remember that there was a Firefox utility that had an icon with 3 balls connected by lines that could also find the links for sites but don't remember what it was. When a video played, that icon was activated. I'm thinking that maybe that utility could extract the parent link instead of the alias but am grasping at straws.

Edited by godzilla1347, 22 February 2015 - 01:39 AM.

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

What I'm trying to do is get the underlying link for a video.  A company has created a protracted process for people to view it and I was hoping to create a tiny url link to make it easier.  When I go to the video with either netvidhunter or downline helper, I get a link that is over 800 characters wide.  Both utilities extract the same code that starts with https:/r3. Interestingly, if I run that URL, it works for a day and then doesn't link on day two. I can make a tinyurl link for it too and the same thing happens. I suspect that somehow that 800 character code is an alias that is generated daily but what I'm looking for is the actual parent URL so a tinyurl that is associated with this video link will continue to link.

Now, I notice that if I run the video and right click on it, I can copy the URL but it is a Youtube video which is stable and continues to work. The problem is that it also contains sidebar links with ads for other companies and people promoting the business. I can't send that to anyone. 

I was wondering, then, how one gets the stable code for this video that continues to link or how to take that Youtube video and send it to others without the sidebar links. Cleantube removes them for me but keeps them active when sending the video to other people

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

Here's an idea. You're still linked to YouTube in a way, so I don't think this goes against YouTube's TOS, nor the author's copyright.

Get the usual link from a YouTube video, the link from the address bar, not the one from the share button.

Replace the https: part at the beginning with:

http://quietube7.com/v.php/http:

Or, follow the instructions in the following link to use the button:

http://quietube.com/

And then, of course, you can shorten the link with TinyURL or Bitly.

Edited by Phantom010, 23 February 2015 - 03:32 PM.

#6 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Will that allow me to send the links without the sidebar links and only the Youtube video? When I had used cleantube, it removed the links from my computer but when I had sent them to a friend, all the sidebar links showed up. Now you suggested quiettube. does that remove the sidebars in the url so that when I send a video, all the recipient gets is the video and not the additional garbage? When I went to the quiettube website, it stated quiettube would allow me to view the videos from my computer without distractions. The question, then, is if I use the code that you sent above, would that remove the "distractions" when I send that video to friends or is it only removing them from my computer? I won't know until I send them and hear from someone or if you or someone here knows.

In other words, if I send the link to someone containing the Youtube video I want and then replace https: with http://quietube7.com/v.php/http: plus the link then create a tinyurl for that, will that send the link so others will receive it without the sidebar links? If so, that's great and solves my problem. I had thought that quiettube only edits the garbage out on my computer and not on the link but don't know.

Interestingly, once again, I took the URL that I had gotten from netvidhunter that worked yesterday for this site and within 24 hours, it doens't work (it has over 800 characters); only when I go to the site and right click on the video (it runs off the company site not Youtube), I can copy the URL.  That brings up the Utube video with the annoying sidebars. 

I am curious how that works. I would think that there has to be a wild card program that sets up aliases so that you can't get the parent URL,  and it's these alias URL's that are captured.  A random generator must be used so that once it sweeps the code, a new URL is created daily, making the previous one inactive. Seems like a counterproductive effort being these video links are used by the company sales team and if they can't get them, the company loses sales.   Yet the Youtube links with all the annoying sidebars seem to work underneath this and they are permanent. 

In fact, this is the first time I have ever seen a link grabbed that goes inactive in 24 hours as it's standard way of operating.

Edited by godzilla1347, 23 February 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

I believe it does what you're looking for, but I haven't tested it on another computer. On the website, Quietube does say you can send the link as it is.

#8 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'll try it in quiettube and send it to a friend to see if the sidebars are removed. I'll report back here.

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:03 AM

Quietube seems to work fine, here is one from YouTube via Quietube titled:

Red Pandas are Having Snow Much Fun - Cincinnati Zoo

Handy, thanks Phantom010.

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

Quietube seems to work fine, here is one from YouTube via Quietube titled:

Red Pandas are Having Snow Much Fun - Cincinnati Zoo

Handy, thanks Phantom010.

You're welcome!

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

I've chosen a black background instead of the white default one:

OKSIdab.png

Edited by Phantom010, 24 February 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#12 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

I'll try it. Those pandas are having more fun that I am.

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

Seems to be working from any computer you send the links to. Tried it myself with success.

#14 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

I notice it has worked for me. I had sent the link out to see if I get a connection.

I did notice and app Annie ad below the text and don't want that either but am wondering if it's a default for quietube.

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

I did notice and app Annie ad below the text and don't want that either but am wondering if it's a default for quietube.

I hadn't noticed any ads before because I'm using Adblock Plus. I can now see what you mean. Unfortunately, unless users are using an ad blocker, this is the price you/they will have to pay. A bit ridiculous considering that we're trying to avoid YouTube's annoyances by using this service. Now, we have an ad... <_<

Sure would like to make those videos autoplay as well, but I don't know if it can be done.

I don't think we can achieve better than that, my friend. At least I'm out of ideas.

Edited by Phantom010, 24 February 2015 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users