Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC status potentially unprotected

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bglittle

bglittle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials  as my Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software.  For about a month now, I have been getting a notification that my pc may be unprotected, even though real time protection is on and everything is up to date.  Is this software safe, and enough to use as my virus and malware protection?I use Windows 7 on my HP Notebook PC, along with using Google Chrome as my search provider.  Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hi bglittle :)

Little correction, Google Chrome isn't a "search provider" but a "web browser" :P There's no such things as "search providers", but "search engines", and Google is one. Microsoft Security Essentials is safe to use as an Antivirus, however, you need a separate Antimalware to complement it, like Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both of these are free and both offer a 14 to 30 days trial of their product as the "paid version", after which they fall back to be the free version. Can you tell us where these notifications are coming from? What program or service is sending them, how they are being displayed, when they occurs, etc.?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hello bglittle and welcome:

MSE has no anti-malware protections to speak of and begs for a supplemental application such as the full-time, on-access protection offered by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and/or Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Additionally, MSE is considered by many to be the bare bones minimum as far as anti-virus protection is concerned.

First and top on any list should be frequent system backups - then many users subsequently learn, at great personal expense, to add most if not all of the following:

EMET 5.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, SpywareBlaster 5.0, HitmanPro.Alert and thoughtfully populating their system's HOSTS file with automation techniques.

My post will be followed by the multiple personal recommendations of others. Of those, please pay particular attention to everything that quiteman7 passes on.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

There's no such things as "search providers",

Actually, there is. :-)

With Internet Explorer you can choose your default search engine (you can also do that with other browsers). This is called your "Search Provider". In IE, go to the Tools / Mange add-ons menu, and you'll find Search Providers as an add-on type.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

Thank you for the correction Didier, didn't think of that one :P I always referred to them as Search Engine, and "Default" Search Engine.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

This notification is a common issue with Microsoft Security Essentials and the "Potentially Unprotected" status could be the result of such things as: the system's date and time is not correct, malware definition database is out of date, MSE Service is not running properly, a third party anti-virus product is causing a conflict with MSE, a scan has not been performed recently, or you did not reboot after performing a scan. Keep in mind that if you change your scheduled scan type to a Full Scan, then running a Quick Scan will not satisfy the criteria for having scanned your computer.

Also if you are using Advanced System Care or an older version of CCleaner, be aware they have been reported to delete administrative files from MSE. More specifically, they remove part of MSE's history files and the files MSE checks to determine the last time a scan was conducted. When that information is removed, MSE thinks it may be unprotected when that is not the case.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 bglittle

bglittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Thx for all the very helpful and informative info!  As far as what program or service is sending this notification, and how they are being displayed... it is an icon in my taskbar (that continues to show-up) sent from Microsoft Security Essentials!  I will reboot to see if this changes anything, for I recently made changes to run a full scan.  In addition, I will take the advice of installing a supplemental antimalware application!  Thanks again for the help! :)  

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

No problem bglittle :) And looks like quietman hypothesis was spot on so I would follow his advices when it comes to dealing with that notification!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

Thx for all the very helpful and informative info!  As far as w[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hat program or service is sending this notification, and how they are being displayed... it is an icon in my taskbar (that continues to show-up)...

Yes the notification comes from MSE itself in an alert from its tray icon. That is normal when this issue arises and MSE wants you to take action to correct it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users