Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Cleanup being blocked by Roxio

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DCA

DCA

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Hello!

This is my first post here, although I have been helped by reading this forum in the past.

Here's the issue I'm having:

On my HP netbook, I recently received a notification (a balloon) that I am running very low on disk space on Local Disk (C:). I checked the properties of that disk and found that all 149 GB on it were used, with 0 bytes of free space. This seemed odd, since this machine is mostly used for browsing and e-mailing activity, and not for storage of photos, videos, music, etc.

I tried to use the Disk Cleanup utility, and it indicated a huge amount of the C: drive was taken up by Roxio "Back On Track Saved States" files, and so I left that line checked to be cleaned up. I then tried to start the Disk Cleanup process, but it never began.

Since then, whenever I try to open the Disk Cleanup utility, a Windows Installer window pops up, telling me that there is not enough space on the disk. If I hit the "Retry" button, I get a message with Roxio Instant Restore at the top, telling me that there is not enough disk space to install (even though I am NOT trying to install anything).

I even tried opening Disk Cleanup by going to "Run" and entering "cleanmgr" and received the same results.

Any ideas on how to get access to Disk Cleanup so that I can get rid of those excess files, and free up my disk space?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

Try cleaning out temp files first. That may get the cleanup utility to start. Click Run and then in the box type %temp%. Edit > Select All files, holding the shift key down press the delete key. Make sure you are in the Temp directory as shown in the address bar. Do this for every account on the computer. Pressing shift bypasses the Recycle Bin and does a direct delete. If you do not use Roxio Back on track you can deselect the automatic save state option. See this HP thread.  You may be able to delete the Saved States through the progam options.

#3 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the response!

For some reason, I was unable to delete all of the Temp files as a group, but was uble to delete enough of them individually to get Disk Cleanup started, so that is encouraging.

Right now, Disk Cleanup is in a preliminary scanning stage, and is working on the "BackOn Track Saved States" file, which is the huge one I got a brief glimpse of earlier. The progress bar hasn't moved for about a half hour, but I guess that's understandable, considering the large file size. Also, I can hear the hard drive working.

Also, I'm checking out the link you provided, which is also helpful. Sounds like I'm not the only one to experience this on an HP Mini.

Thanks again...will let you know how things turn out!

#4 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Update:

After Disk Cleanup spent a couple of hours in the "calculating" stage, in which it determines how much space can be freed up, it finally displayed a list of files. The BackOn Track Saved States was included, and the box next to it was already checked. I don't recall the size of the file, but it was the largest.

I clicked the button to delete the selected files, a progress bar flashed for a few seconds, and that was it. I again checked the properties of Local Disk (C:), and it still shows 149 GB used, and only 296 KB free.

I'm puzzled as to why those BackOn Track Saved States files are immune from deletion. I guess maybe I'll try checking the program options, to see if I can delete the Saved States.

Perhaps I should try uninstalling Roxio completely. But would that also remove those files?

Edited by DCA, 21 February 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

Can you delete the backup states from within the Roxio program? They are probably immune from deletion by Disk Cleanup because the files are possibly considered in use by the Roxio program if it has services that start when Windows boots.

Edit: Check this Roxio thread for a possible solution.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 February 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#6 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

After clearing just a bit of disk space after clearing out some of the Temp files (thanks again for that suggestion), I now notice an additional pop-up window when I try to run Disk Cleanup.

Now, after receiving the brief message that Windows installer is attempting to install/configure Roxio, a second window opens, labeled  "Roxio Instant Restore." The message says:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource which is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation packe 'BOT.MSI' in the box below."

In the "Use source" box below is this path:

C:\SwSetup\RBOT\BACKONTRACK_38\

If I click "OK," I see this:

"The path 'C:\SwSetup\RBOT\BACKONTRACK_38\BOT.MSI' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'BOT.MSI' in a folder from which you can install the product Roxio Instant Restore."

So I'm wondering if something went awry with some Roxio files awhile back, which perhaps led to it allowing its BackOn Track Saved States to pile up until they consumed all of the space on the C: drive.

From what I've gathered, when Roxio is installed (it came pre-installed on our HP netbook), it takes over the operations of the Disk Cleanup utility.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Personally, I would uninstall Roxio and use an imaging program like Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper to create a disk image backup to an external drive. Both these programs allow you to create a bootable disk or USB so you can recover your disk image even if Windows does not boot or you need to image to a new hard drive.

Edit: In my previous post I asked if you could delete the states from withing the Roxio program itself. Is this possible?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 February 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#8 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

Thanks again for the response.

As far as deleting the Saved States files via Roxio, I am not even able to open Roxio.

If I go to All Programs > Roxio > BackOn Track > BackOn Track Home, as the program starts to open, I get the same pop-up messages as above, telling me of the missing resource necessary to install Roxio. So, it's kind of a vicious cycle, since I can't get to the one program which has the bloated files, and also controls the deletion of those files, and also saves previous states, so I can't return to a previous state (apparently takes over the duties of System Restore, as System Restore shows no previous recovery points saved). 

So, I'm guessing that it's not possible to repair Roxio BackOn Track at this point, and getting rid of it would be my best option. If so, my next question would be how to go about with that process. I understand that using "Add and Remove Programs" in Control Panel is not always the best method.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

If you see ROXIO in the ADD/REMOVE section of Control Panel, that would be the best way to uninstall ROXIO. But, look here. After people uninstalled the software, their computer would not boot.

This poster was able to uninstall it in Windows 7 but had to do an initial step before it was completely removed. Personally, I think this software is more trouble than it is worth after reading posts on Google. I leave the decision to uninstall up to you. Here is another poster whose computer would not boot after uninstall

#10 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the additional links...sounds like uninstalling BackOn Track did not go well for most of those people. In fact, it sounds like one of the people was missing the same file that I am (C:\SwSetup\RBOT\BACKONTRACK_38\).

Since my last post, something occurred to me. Is it possible that, since the Roxio software was originally installed on the HP Mini netbook, the software is still available from the HP site, and I could download the missing file there? I know that HP can scan my system, just wondered if that might be a possibilty.

I went to the Roxio website, and BackOn Track was not listed among their products. Gee, I wonder why.  :smash:

Edited by DCA, 22 February 2015 - 02:33 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

If you can find it on HP's site you may find the file but this software seems like it really buries itself deep into the system. Here is some info on it. I am not sure if ROXIO even supports this software anymore. The only reference to it I found here. BACKONTRACK_38 seems like a folder and not a file. It may be hidden. You can unhide files and system files in XP and see if it shows. I would really get this software off you computer if you can. You could try the uninstall but I would only do this if you had a XP install disk. If the uninstall messes with the MBR then you could use the XP install disk to do a repair. Is this a netbook computer?

#12 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Yes, this is a netbook, it came with everything loaded onto it, and no install disk was included.

I went to the HP website to see what software and drivers were available for this model, and they do have the Roxio BackOn Track Recovery Manager available for download: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-75433-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&productOid=3989812&sw_lang=

But if I were to download this, would it just overwrite the existing program files? And I also wonder if the install was successful, would it access those saved states files created by the original install, and be able to delete them.

Of course, uninstalling would be great, but some of those horror stories are scary.

We have another HP Mini netbook, a slightly earlier model, also with this same program on it, but hasn't given us any trouble (yet).

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

The only problem I see with reinstalling is it may fail due to the amount of disk space left of the drive. Programs when installed usually get extracted to a temp folder and then installed. If there isn't enough space on the disk, it will fail. But at this point, I think this is your only solution. Hopefully it will install over itself and even get rid of the previous states.

What is the comptuer used for? Just basic internet and email? The problem with XP is there are no more security upates and sooner or later somebody will find a security hole you can drive a truck through. I only mention this as you could install a linux distro like Ubuntu if you did not do anything heavy on the computer.

#14 DCA

DCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Yes, this particular machine is only used for basic e-mailing and browsing. Would like to stay with XP for now, and we'll probably get some newer machines in the future (haven't heard too many glowing reports on Windows 8, though).

I wondered the same thing about the disk space for the download, too. I think that there are only about 40 MB free, and I think that the download requires about 400 MB. Really, there are no photos, videos, etc. stored on it. These Roxio files are consuming the lion's share of it. There are a couple of years' worth of Outlook Express e-mail files we'd like to keep, and maybe we could temporarily move them to a flash drive, to create some space.

I guess it's not possible to download a file to, and open it from an external drive (such as a flash drive) somehow?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

I am not sure the install would work from the flash drive. Do you know the location of these saved states on the hard drive? You can use WinDirStat portable on a flash drive to determine where they are located. Just install to a flash drive. Once you know that, you can boot a small linux distro and delete them.

That amount of emails in Outlook Express could be an issue. Microsoft no longer supports Outlook Express so you would need to copy the Outlook express folder and possibly open them in your other computer but I am not sure how that would work. If I can remember correctly Outlook express allows for different identities. Windows Live is the replacement for Outlook express. You could export the Outlook express emails to Windows Live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users