Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HPF4280 Printer - colours not printing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mr benn

mr benn

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hi  all.  I am having issues printing in black or colour , as follows :

Black -  the printer goes thru the motions,  but just a blank page comes out

Colour  - it prints the picure, but  the colours are all distorted

These are good cartridges, and have been tried in another printer.

I have tried a test print.  It just a red triangle at the top , then 3 rows of small blue squeares at the bottom

I have selected the option to clean the print cartridges.  It then prints out a row of letters clearly , but in Grey.   It then prints 2 rows of colours . Theses are  are a mix of colours ,  yellow , blue, green, purple

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

A good starting point with any printer problem is to completely uninstall the printer and all its associated software and then start again. Tedious but true. If you don't have the drivers or the manual to hand you can get them from HP here :-

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-F4200-All-in-One-Printer-series/3390945/model/3390948

Also, when installing a printer it is a good idea to have the quick start guide handy - which you will find on the above web-site - because printers are notoriously fussy about the sequence in which things are done. It's a few years since I had an HP printer but from memory they like to be switched on and connected before you install the drivers, but that may have changed !  check with the guide.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Chris

I tried re-installing the drivers on my pc to no avail.

I have also tried printing from my laptop -  same results.

The only other suggestion is to re-install the firmware on the printer (?) but I cant find any exact links for that , even on the HP website itself.

My gut feeling is its a hardware issue.  The printer wont be under Warranty anymore. 

Frustratingly, I found this video which seemed to be the exact same issue I have , but its a different HP model.  I dont know if my model will have the same type of print heads , and they may be different to get at ?.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f57jOGj-G5s

#4 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

I really like the printer, and the scanner is excellent, so dont want to just scrap it.  So happy to try and open it up and have a go.

Edited by mr benn, 25 February 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Did you have a look at the top box on that link I gave you - Solution and up date finder ?  I don't know if it will be of any help but it is probably worth a look.

As for the video. It's an interesting video and it would certainly be worth your while to have a look and see if it would be amenable to that sort of treatment. If it is, I would be inclined to follow up that wet piece of kitchen paper under the print heads with a dry one. The only thing to bear in mind is that printers are essentially disposable bits of equipment and you have to ask yourself 'How much time and effort am I willing to put into this before I buy a new one ?'. 

I know you like the printer, and it's a great scanner . . . but !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

if the cartridges work in other machines, then the carriage face, where the cartridge mates with the connector pins.  IF the pins are dirty(covered in ink usually), cleaning with alcohol and q-tip.

#7 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

The pins where the cartridges meet the printer seem clean.  I have rubbed them with cotton buds  ( I don thave any alchohol).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users