Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp System Tray

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Here's the issue:

I just bought a Dell Dimension 5150, installed my programs and configured the desktop to the way I wanted. All was good. In the System Tray I had running, Norton Ghost, ZoneAlarm Pro, McAfee, MusicMatch, Dell Support and a few others.

Yesterday I booted up and some of these icons were GONE. :thumbsup:

I tried tweeking with the properties page, start menu bar, and taskbars but nothing else worked. I even looked at each program that SHOULD be running in the System tray, all options to show in tray were checked but they still did not appear.

I did a System Restore to before I had the problem and it STILL didn't resolve it.
Where did the icons go?? :flowers:

Any ideas to help would be greatly appreciated. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

Note, that I've also tried going to Start, Properties, Customize & mark them as Always Show they will not show up. I've unchecked 'Hide inactive icons' also. Tried, rebooting, same problem.

The programs still work as if they were in the system tray, the only thing that is gone are the icons (but not all of them).

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Well...I did some searching in Google and came up with this very interesting article.

http://winhlp.com/WxSystray.htm

And also this excellent guide from Tech-Pro

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

Has anyone else had this problem?? It didn't happen to me at first, but after a week it started...I think after installing some kind of Network service from my Modem or Router Software?? :thumbsup: Aparently, the cause is not known and there is no known "fix", just "workarounds". Microsoft is supposedly aware of the problem...I hope they come up with a Hotfix.

I'm at work now on my Win2000 laptop but will try the suggestions as above when I get home tonight. I'll keep everyone informed.

BP - If this is successful, you should put in your TUTORIAL section or as a HOT TOPIC in this forum. :flowers:

Cheers.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

After some tweeking around, the best way to alleviate this problem is don't log in right away. Enter your login name & password, but DON'T click OK or hit Enter until the hard drive activity ceases (usually about a minute or so).

This worked for me 100% of the time. The other tweeks helped, but were not completely successful.

Definately a bug in Windows XP; the icons do fully load and display completely upon startup.

So, I guess I just answered and "solved" my original question. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users