Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Reset Issues (Windows XP Professional)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LogicRevolution

LogicRevolution

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:07 AM

Hello, I am trying to attempt a factory reset on a Windows XP Professional Dell Latitude D600. Unfortunately, the computer was previously owned by another company and has a login which I do not know the username/password to. The laptop does NOT have a CD drive and I am using a USB drive to attempt to fix the laptop. If the factory reset does not work, I will be trying to install Ubuntu. I do not have a Windows disk to repair/reset the computer.

On startup (without any other bootup USB drives), it would allow me to access the login screen but I would not be able to get through as I do not know the password/username. I have already tried using Ophcrack (no users would show when loaded), Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (no Windows installation was found), and Trinity Rescue Kit (no Windows installation was found). I have also tried to install Ubuntu with no success. I have tried to use Crtl + F11 / F11 to access a "System Restore" which did not work during startup. (Dell does not have this feature on some of its older laptops, not sure.)

Key Information:

- Windows XP Professional

- Dell Latitude D600

- Unknown password/username

- Password recovery software failed to work

- Failed to install Ubuntu, other programs failed to see hard drive as valid Windows installation (despite loading up as Windows normally)

- Factory reset option unable to be reached from boot menu

I will try to respond to any requests or questions as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Edited by LogicRevolution, 21 February 2015 - 01:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

IMO call the other company for assistance, helping to defeat passwords is highly frowned upon on any legitimate site.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 LogicRevolution

LogicRevolution
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

I have decided to move towards installing Ubuntu instead and will be moving to their forums. Thanks for the reply though. :)

(Close Topic?)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for letting us know your decision. we don't normally close topics, preferring to keep them open/available for others to possibly learn from.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users