Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Reset Issues (Windows XP Professional)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LogicRevolution

LogicRevolution

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:07 AM

Hello, I am trying to attempt a factory reset on a Windows XP Professional Dell Latitude D600. Unfortunately, the computer was previously owned by another company and has a login which I do not know the username/password to. The laptop does NOT have a CD drive and I am using a USB drive to attempt to fix the laptop. If the factory reset does not work, I will be trying to install Ubuntu. I do not have a Windows disk to repair/reset the computer.

On startup (without any other bootup USB drives), it would allow me to access the login screen but I would not be able to get through as I do not know the password/username. I have already tried using Ophcrack (no users would show when loaded), Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (no Windows installation was found), and Trinity Rescue Kit (no Windows installation was found). I have also tried to install Ubuntu with no success. I have tried to use Crtl + F11 / F11 to access a "System Restore" which did not work during startup. (Dell does not have this feature on some of its older laptops, not sure.)

Key Information:

- Windows XP Professional

- Dell Latitude D600

- Unknown password/username

- Password recovery software failed to work

- Failed to install Ubuntu, other programs failed to see hard drive as valid Windows installation (despite loading up as Windows normally)

- Factory reset option unable to be reached from boot menu

I will try to respond to any requests or questions as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Edited by LogicRevolution, 21 February 2015 - 01:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

IMO call the other company for assistance, helping to defeat passwords is highly frowned upon on any legitimate site.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 LogicRevolution

LogicRevolution
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

I have decided to move towards installing Ubuntu instead and will be moving to their forums. Thanks for the reply though. :)

(Close Topic?)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for letting us know your decision. we don't normally close topics, preferring to keep them open/available for others to possibly learn from.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users