Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Default Programs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:55 PM

I know I have done this before and I have searched for directions but can't find them.  Murphys Law I can find directions for everything but what I'm needing.

Anyway could someone please tell me how to set my default programs.

I have a pdf document that keeps opening in preview and I need to reset my defaults.   I HATE PREVIEW so I can't imagine I chose that.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:54 PM

Preview IS the default app to open pdf files. Right click on the pdf document > Get Info > Open with: > choose your app or Other if it isn't listed, navigate to the app in Applications > Change All. 

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

Preview IS the default app to open pdf files. Right click on the pdf document > Get Info > Open with: > choose your app or Other if it isn't listed, navigate to the app in Applications > Change All. 

Thanks -- usually that works but its not finding Adobe to open it  but I know I have it so if I could change the default it would automatically use it. 

I have searched all over the internet and the suggested fixes are like reading War and Peace.   This is one thing I find annoying with Apple.   There ought to be a simple way to do this but I guess there isn't.

Edited by JayJax, 21 February 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

but its not finding Adobe to open it  but I know I have it 

I have searched all over the internet and the suggested fixes are like reading War and Peace.   This is one thing I find annoying with Apple.   There ought to be a simple way to do this but I guess there isn't.

Have you adobe installed or not? Open your programs folder and search for them. If it so, as buddyme2 said right-click on an pdf-dokument, choose get info and the choose adobe reader as default viewer. At last click on change all button that makes adobe as default viewer for everyone.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

Thanks -- usually that works but its not finding Adobe to open it  but I know I have it so if I could change the default it would automatically use it. 

Well then, you either have not installed it correctly or you have installed it somewhere other than the Applications directory. 

If you would take the time to learn Mac OS X with an open mind then you'd find that it's pretty easy to do things with an Apple computer. 

What apps are listed when you right click on the PDF file > Open With?

Is Adobe Reader listed in your Mac Application directory?

If it is, is it greyed out when you click on the "Other" button?

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:34 PM

i didn't install anything.   It was installed by a very reputable computer repair company.    I have an open mind but obviously my opinion differs from yours.   an opinion is something we are both entitled to.   I've been confronted on all sides with all sorts of problems while having contracted pneumonia that won't let get along with the drugs necessary to treat it leave me even dimmer than normal but I'm doing the best I can.

Edited by JayJax, 24 February 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#7 GoCatGo

GoCatGo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

Locate any PDF document …

Click once to select …

With the PDF selected, click on the File menu and select "Get Info" …

In the resulting window, look for "Open with" …

Select the application of choice …

Click "Change All" …

A warning dialog will open … Click "Continue" …

Close the "info" window …

… you're done …

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

Thanks - I am on my windows laptop currently - when next I sign in to my Apple Computer I will give your instructions a go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users