Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Alert On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

A short time ago, my wife received an alert on her laptop.  It was big and bold in red, stating:

"Warning New Virus Detected.....Microsoft detected Security Error Please Contact Microsoft Live Technician Right Away"  Phone 1-800-919-3079

It seems to me to be bogus, would you agree??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:14 PM

Hello rlight:

Of course it's bogus, but now you and/or your wife need to immediately determine if the source is still resident on the laptop.

I would recommend an immediate search for malware actions while putting a complete halt to any financial transactions with this laptop.

I hope you have recent full system back-ups for added security and you re-evaluate the laptop's security arsenal.

Edited by 1PW, 20 February 2015 - 09:15 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hello there,

Those are bogus ads designed to lure people into tech support scams.

If you see them, it can mean that it's an ad on a website, or you're infected with adware.

I recommend that you visit the Am I Infected section and get help - that way it can rule out any chance of malware lurking in your system.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users