Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on most secure web browser

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

I don't get how one is supposed to know if a website is safe or not. I use WOT for general browsing but it can't be 100% and sometimes I think it falsely accuses a site as being unsafe. Before downloading any software I go to McAfee site advisor first, but I don't know how one is supposed to stick to safe sites when following links for info or judge whether to activate flash or allow via NoScript a javascript to run. I remember well-known "safe" websites were getting hacked at some point and bad things put on their pages. When people say safe sites do they just mean to avoid file sharing/torrent sites where music/videos/software are shared illegally?

For me, a safe site is about malware, viruses, phishing, and privacy concerns. Sites that are considered safe may not be safe because of java and flash. It just depends on the vulernability and if attacks are currently happening. Just be aware of sites that have ads and use those java and flash plugins. The illegal sharing sites are not considered safe for piracy reasons and it could also have a virus/malware attached to those files (I wouldn't know, I'm just assuming; any download can have a virus/malware attached to it.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

For me, a safe site is about malware, viruses, phishing, and privacy concerns. Sites that are considered safe may not be safe because of java and flash. It just depends on the vulernability and if attacks are currently happening. Just be aware of sites that have ads and use those java and flash plugins. The illegal sharing sites are not considered safe for piracy reasons and it could also have a virus/malware attached to those files (I wouldn't know, I'm just assuming; any download can have a virus/malware attached to it.)

Sites still using Java are pretty rare. As for Flash, it's hard to avoid it as it's everywhere. You won't see many streaming videos without it.

The ads are very often responsible for infections. They can be very deceiving. That's why I use Adblock Plus. It's an extra layer of protection. Sorry for the good guys trying to make a living with those ads on their websites, but unless they can guarantee the ads are 100% safe, I'm blocking them all.

#18 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

"rp88 I don't understand about enabling javascript for some forum logins being unsafe"
Javascript (not to be confused with java) is the pat of webpages which advances their capabilities beyond ordinary html, there are some ways in which bugs in javascript can be used to launch exploit attacks on users howver most exploits happen by using flash java or silverlight. When you don't run javascript you can't run flash java or silverlight from a webpage, and there are often other things which won't work either (html5 videos and fancy menus for example, also the logins to some forums or logins on some other websites (this site lets you log in without it though)) as only html stuff can run when javascript is disabled you more-or-les can't be xploited when it isn't running. As soon as you allow javascript from a page you open up a chance (an infinitesimally small chance on trustworthy sites woth good security as long as you don't let adverts run)(a large chance on compromised or otherwise malicious sites) for exploits to happen, although most of them would need to then run themselves through java or flash or silverlight. You are at your safest when you are forbidding all scripts but allowing them from trustworthy domains while browsing trustworthy sites should be safe in almost all cases.

"When people say safe sites do they just mean..." NO, there are other types of unsafe sites too, and adverts on the corners of trustworthy sites can also be dangerous. Noscript should protect you from exploits however they may come, but avoiding risky sites is a good step for futher security on top of this. If you visit an un-safe site by accident and NoScript is on, then as long as you don't allow any scripts the chances of the page managing to infect you are slim (because without javascript and the things that rely upon it very few exploits can work) but staying away from unsafe sites is a good move to FURTHER lower your risk. There might be a few exploit pages out there which can somehow get around NoScript's protection and infect you despite the precautions and the risk of these few is why you should stay away from likely malware sites, fortunately with NoScript it is only a small fraction of exploit pages capable of performing their evil deeds but staying away from unsafe sites reduces the risk of encountering attacks that might sneak past.

Edited by rp88, 12 March 2015 - 02:43 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users