Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Classes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Hi.

I'm a Windows user. I only have very little experiences with Macs.

Lately I've been considering taking some classes to learn how to use one. I didn't know if any of the online ones are good or if doing the workshop at an Apple Retail Store was better.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

I'd recommend the Apple store because you can ask questions. It was very helpful when we switched from the Win system. Pick a weekday & time when the 9-5ers are working so it's not so crowded, & take notes - they give lots of info. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

I'd recommend the Apple store because you can ask questions. It was very helpful when we switched from the Win system. Pick a weekday & time when the 9-5ers are working so it's not so crowded, & take notes - they give lots of info. 

For the Apple Store, do you have to already have purchased a Mac to take the workshop? Do they teach if you simply want to increase your computer skills but not buy one?

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

No one ever asked me if I had bought a machine. As far as I know, you just sign up for whatever classes you want, then go. Unlikely they would turn away a potential buyer who wants to learn about one of their products. Just sign up & go, & don't hesitate to ask questions because you'll be with other people who want to learn too. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

No one ever asked me if I had bought a machine. As far as I know, you just sign up for whatever classes you want, then go. Unlikely they would turn away a potential buyer who wants to learn about one of their products. Just sign up & go, & don't hesitate to ask questions because you'll be with other people who want to learn too. 

That's good. Thank you!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

They generally have Macs there that you can use, but you can certainly bring your own.

#7 GoCatGo

GoCatGo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Interestingly, one must purchase a Mac to sign up for their One to One personal training program. You can get around this by finding someone who is buying a Mac and partnering with them … just register it under your name.

Edited by GoCatGo, 25 February 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#8 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Interestingly, one must purchase a Mac to sign up for their One to One personal training program. You can get around this by finding someone who is buying a Mac and partnering with them … just register it under your name.

I was going to do a workshop with discover your Mac. Will I need to purchase one? I hadn't intended on doing that.

#9 GoCatGo

GoCatGo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

The workshops are free, but very general, high-altitude in nature. Fine place to start, though.

#10 h8zgray

h8zgray

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Lynda.com offers a variery of general computing and OS specific classes, including intorductory to intermediate classes on how to use macs. They offer a free ten day trial, monthly and yearly subscription plans, and you, as a guest can even preview the classes before signing up. No, this is not an advertisment, I am a Lynda.com subscriber and I find the content to be top notch. hope this adds another dimension to your RFO. Best wishes.

#11 GoCatGo

GoCatGo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

Agreed, h8zgray … Lynda.com is swell. It's not free, but pretty affordable … and the trial is a pretty generous free intro (it varies from seven to ten days).

#12 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

Does Lynda.com allow one to ask questions?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users