Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Error

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 papajoe80

papajoe80

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

My first post, so hope I'm doing it correctly and in the right area.

I have a x64 based Dell running 8.1 and each time I update, I continue to get the message that Update KB2919355 failed to update.  Any easy fix?

Thanks & God Bless,

papajoe80

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hi papajoe80 :)

Can you try to download and install that update manually from the Microsoft website?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

Click on the Download button, then check the .msu file that have the right KB number and download it. Once done, execute the file to install it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hi papajoe80 :)

Can you try to download and install that update manually from the Microsoft website?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

Click on the Download button, then check the .msu file that have the right KB number and download it. Once done, execute the file to install it.

Hi, and thank you for the suggestion.  I have tried that and can successfully download same but the installation fails when I try to install it.

God Bless,

papajoe80

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

What error code does it fails with? Can you give me it?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Arjunrishi

Arjunrishi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:05 AM

For me too same problem , not that link not working .

#6 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yes, it says "Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based system (KB2919355) Failed to install (date)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

Alright, let's start from the beginning.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;

unite_blue.png

#8 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

Alright, let's start from the beginning.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:

• On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;

I attempted doing as you suggested (above), but although I AM Administrator, it said I must have administrator privileges???

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

Is your UAC disabled? When you right-click on a program and select Run as Administrator, do you have a security prompt asking you to allow the program to run or not?

unite_blue.png

#10 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Is your UAC disabled? When you right-click on a program and select Run as Administrator, do you have a security prompt asking you to allow the program to run or not?

As you may have guessed, I'm VERY new to this site and am not quite familiar enough yet to operate it well.  When I right click on a program I don't get the option you mention.  I brought up UAC and 'lowered' the option but it made no difference.  I still get the reply that I need Admin priv. to use that command...

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

Please bring back the UAC to the level where it was, most likely "Default". When you right-click on the Windows Logo in the bottom left corner, is there no "Command Prompt (Administrator)" option?

unite_blue.png

#12 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Please bring back the UAC to the level where it was, most likely "Default". When you right-click on the Windows Logo in the bottom left corner, is there no "Command Prompt (Administrator)" option?

I have the 'START' menu on the lower left and no, I get no such option.  Have returned the UAC to default.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Alright, go in the C:\windows\system32 folder, then right click on cmd.exe, the option will be there.

unite_blue.png

#14 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Alright, go in the C:\windows\system32 folder, then right click on cmd.exe, the option will be there.

OK, finally got Admin priv... sfc is running scan now.......

#15 papajoe80

papajoe80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

OK, finally got Admin priv... sfc is running scan now.......

Scan completed.  Message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log windir/Logs/CBS/CBS.  (I went there, but file is not accessible).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users