Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD on shutdown on Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

I've been having shutdown problems with my PC. Sometimes it shuts down no problem after about 5 minutes. But most of the time it just hangs at the "Shutting down..." screen. Alot of the time it ends in a DRIVER_POWER STATE_FAILURE BSOD. It sits on the shutting down screen so long that the computer actually goes to sleep. I usually end up just holding the power button until it shuts off because I'm tired of waiting. Using BlueScreenView, I can see that it has always been caused by ntoskrnl.exe. It was caused by adf.sys once about two weeks ago. How do I fix this? This has been going on for months and I just want the computer to shutdown normally again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Computer make and model, or if a self-built, the basic specs ?  Always useful information.

Have you tried doing a system restore to a time before this problem started ?  Open 'Control panel' and click on 'Recovery' then follow the prompts. In 8.1 you can get to the control panel either by pressiing the windows key + 'x' and choosing control panel from the pop-up menu, or by going up to the top right hand corner and bringing up the 'Charms' panel and typing 'Control' into the search box. Control panel is normally the top item in the list it finds.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

It is a Lenovo H430-2558-1ZU that originally came with Windows 7, was upgraded to Windows 8, then upgraded to Windows 8.1. The specs are as follows:
3.3GHz Intel Core i3 2120

4GB DDR3 RAM

EVGA GTX 750

SeaSonic S12II 520 power supply (upgraded from stock)
1TB Seagate ST31000524AS

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly when the problem started, so I can't really use System Restore.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info, it almost always helps to know the type of computer. I recently suggested to some one that they take the side off their computer and clean out the cooling on their GPU. It was only at that point I googled the model of the GPU to discover it was fitted to laptops !

Going by your first post - the regular report of ntoskrnl.exe - it might be worth your while to run the SFC /scannow command which will attempt to repair corrupted system files such as this one.

To do this you need to run the Command line prompt as administrator. You get to the command prompt exactly the same way as you get to control panel. If you go the Windows key + 'x' route, RIGHT click on 'Command' and select 'Run as administrator'; if you go the charms route, type 'CMD' into the search box, you will see 'command ' at the top of the list of results and again RIGHT click on this. You will now get a black window with white text with, at the end of the text a blinking underscore.

Type 'SFC /scannow' at the prompt (without the ' ') and press enter. If asked if you want to run it, type 'Y' and press enter (again no ' '). Then leave it to run. It can take quite a while to run, an hour or more, so just leave it to do it. When you are quite certain it has finished, re-boot and see what happens.

Post back if the problem is still with you.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users