Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternate router subnets

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blue88

blue88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

I have a work computer that I can't use at home because my Linskys router has a 1 subnet that is conflicting with the routers subnet at the office. (I have to log into their system remotely. It doesn't work at starbucks either.) Everything is fine with the internet connection, it's just this one website that they have secure that I need to be able to access. I have been told to change the ip address' subnet to a 2 somehow, but from what I understand you can change the ip address of a router but NOT the subnet of it. If it is possible to change it I'm wondering how. If it is not possible I'm wondering how you find a router that has a different subnet on the ip address besides the very popular 1. Thank you!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

This shouldn't make any difference what your IP address is behind the router as the 192.168.x.x addresses are non-routable.

How are you connecting back to work?  Can you access the Internet on the work machine from home?

#3 blue88

blue88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

I can access the internet fine but to work I have to log into their VPN and then into certain webpage to upload work. The IT guy said it's keeping me out since my IP address is conflicting with theirs. I tried changing the IP address but it didn't help, they keep saying it's the subnet that's the issue. Do you you know if they even make routers with a different subnet? Thanks!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 February 2015 - 07:14 PM.
Moved to 'Networking'

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

It looks like your local subnet 192.168.x.x overlaps the Corporate subnet. This can cause a problem with routing over a vpn. If their local network is on 192.168.x.x change your local network on your liksys to 10.0.0.0 or 172.16.0.0.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

To help you with details we will need the model of your Linksys router. It can be done, it isn't particularly difficult, but it does take several steps in a sequence to keep from locking yourself out.

#6 blue88

blue88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

Cool thank you, it's a EA6100 Linskys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1200

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

The default ip address for the LAN on that router is 192.168.1.X you can

• Enter the default user name password both are admin (I highly recommend changing these).
  • Click on the connectivity tab and select Local Network.
  • Click edit next to the Router Details tab.  
  • Change the IP address to 172.16.1.1 click Save.
  • The router will reboot.
  • You can login to the router at the new ip address 172.16.1.1 with the same user name and password as before 
  • You may need to renew your ip address to connect back to the router, You can reboot your computer, or From the command prompt type the following pressing enter after each command.
    Ipconfig /release

Ipconfig /renew

• Try to access the router again
  • Go back into the connections tab and select Local Network. Under the DHCP Server it should reflect the IP change and have a starting IP of 172.16.1.100. You can find Pictures or more detailed instructions on the Local network settings here
  • You shouldn't have an overlapping subnet anymore.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 February 2015 - 04:20 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users