Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista HP G3 laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uthman

Uthman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

I was wondering if maybe you can offer me some assistance. My old laptop was having problems turning off randomly so I wanted to check something in the BIOS. I was about to make a back up of that data so I can move it to my new system. I accidently hit the key F11 during the boot menu. On my new laptop the BIOS menu is f12. This key apparently starts something called system recovery and it started to load some stuff quickly and then that issue of it turning off happened again. I started up my computer but it will no longer boot to windows. It ran again in that process for about two mins before shutting off again. I decided to leave the computer off. I have a lot of data on that system and don't want to erase it by mistake. I read online that you have to a accept the recovery and it formats the drive. I don't recall ever accepting that. How screwed am I?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Using a recovery partition or system restores your computer to the ex-works condition and normally involves a format of the active partition, what you would normally consider your 'C' drive. This will, if allowed to complete, wipe everything off the partition so that all applications etc. need to be re-installed. However this process usually takes more than a couple of minutes so your data may still be there.

However you now have the problem of a non-booting computer. One way round this is to use a self-booting version of Linux, of which there are a considerable number. The one I use is Puppy which can be written to either a CD or a USB and will run from either. I keep a copy of the CD on my desk. The reason I use Puppy is that it was recommended to me on BC, it works, and therefore I have no need to change it !  You can get it with complete instructions on how to use it on CD or USB from here :-

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Once you have it on CD or USB, just put the CD in the drive, or plug in the USB and boot. With a Vista machine you are probably better with the CD as the CD drive is normally included in the boot options in BIOS.

When you power up the computer it should boot from Puppy and you will have a Linux desktop which looks a bit different from a Windows one but should be understandable. It includes a file manager similar to Windows Explorer and on your desktop you will see icons for the various drives on the computer. Using the file manager, if there are salvageable files on your drive, you will be able to move them to external storage to rescue them.

While I hope this helps you recover at least some of your data - if not all - it does point up the importance of doing regular back-ups of your data. I know, horses and stable doors and all that. Best of luck.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users