Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe A Cpmputer Clean

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nachelle

nachelle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:33 AM

i need to know how to wipe my computer clean... wipe it down? is this something i can do?

Mod edit: E-Mail addy removed to protect member from spam bots.

Edited by Scarlett, 27 June 2006 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

Do you want to completely wipe your hard drive including removing the operating system and leave it blank?

If that is what you want to do use the following link to download an ap that will do it:
Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser 1.1
http://www.download.com/Active-Kill-Disk-H...tml?tag=lst-0-4

Active@ KillDisk is powerful and compact DOS software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. This is security software for unrecoverable data elimination for any computer capable of booting in DOS mode from floppy drive. It uses access to the drive?s data on a physical level via BIOS bypassing logical drive structure organization, thus it does not matter operating systems and file systems located on the machine, it can be DOS, Windows 95 / 98, Windows NT / 2000 / XP, Linux, Unix for PC. Active@ KillDisk conforms to US Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing standard DoD 5220.22-M. You can be sure that once you clean up with Active@ KillDisk, sensitive information is purged out forever. We highly recommend you to run this FREE utility for the hard and floppy drives you want to dispose of, recycle, re-use, sell or donate to somebody.

Attention: This will leave your computer with no operating system

#3 ArsenalFX

ArsenalFX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

Previous program mention works well. Depends on what you plan on doing with the drive when you are done. If you are going to reuse it then go with that one or BCWipe using the DoD option. Being a Government Info Assurance type I have to tell you that there is considerable debate about all the "DoD" standards for wiping/deguassing/erasing information. There is never anything 100% effective.

If you want to discard the device and you have incriminating evidence on your drive I would also recommend taking the drive apart, using a belt sander on the platters, a huge magnet, and an acetylene torch.

If you have the extra bucks InTether is a great product, but it costs a little bit (more than the average joe is willing to fork out.
There are 10 types of people in the world...
Those that understand Binary and those that don't!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users