Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me With New Hard Drive Instalation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hello All,

I am new here and I really just signed up because I just built my first computer. When I ordered all of the parts I initially ordered two internal drives, a 1 tb Western Digital hard drive and a Crucial 250 gb SSD. On my first time assembly my system (on the This PC screen) saw my Crucial SSD and my optical drive and an external Western Digital My Book hard drive, but it never saw the internal Western Digital hard drive. I thought that maybe I got a bad drive so I sent it back and got a new one. Well I plugged in the new one and the This PC screen still does not see it. Of course I changed out all of the wires, the SATA cables and power cables, swapped everything around and the computer still sees all of the internal and external hardware but not the internal Western Digital hard drive. Funny thing is when I go to "Device Manager" it is listed under the Disk drives, and when I double click on it it says the driver is up to date and it also states "This device is working properly." So how come I can not see this hard drive in the This PC screen. I am a novice and I need some help. Thanks in advance.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

I don't know if this makes any difference, but when I click on the events tab for this hard drive I see a message that says:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC&Prod_WD10EZEX-22BN5A0\4&268c595a&0&040000 was configured.

Driver Name: disk.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Does that mean anything?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

I just ran some tests on this hard drive over at the Western Digital site, found here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940

and this hard drive passed those tests. On the screen at the Western Digital Life Guard site, I can see the hard drive listed in the physical drive section but not in the logical drive section. The hard drive is still not showing up in the This PC screen even after;

A) I swapped out al the cables and changed the jack that I plugged it into in the motherboard.

B) I can see the hard drive listed in the Device Manager screen and when I click on it says that "This device is working properly.

3) I downloaded the Life Guard test from Western Digital and ran all the tests and the hard drive passed all of the tests.

I need somebody's help to help me figure out what is going on. Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

If the drive is in Device Manager, is it also shown in Disk Management? Look there. It may need to be initialized first then partitioned/formatted by right clicking create simple volume.

initialize-disk.png

You could also use Partition Wizard. This should detect the drive and then you can create a partition and format it NTFS.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

If the drive is in Device Manager, is it also shown in Disk Management? Look there. It may need to be initialized first then partitioned/formatted by right clicking create simple volume.

initialize-disk.png

You could also use Partition Wizard. This should detect the drive and then you can create a partition and format it NTFS.

Thank you very much. I did not know about the disk management screen and going through that fixed all of my problems. Everything is good now.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad that solved the problem and thanks for the update. Good Luck on the new build.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

Thank you. I am having a lot of fun and learning a few things. I hope to keep on hanging out here at this forum because you guys are a wealth of information.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users