Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anon5

Anon5

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:16 AM

mmk, so laptops dead and now i have a hard drive with ubuntu on it and a bunch of files I would like to have.  I also have some liittle dinky sata to usb cable.

The problem is I plug it in, says driver is ready to use, but it will not show the files, no autoplay, no showing up below computer.

Went to computer managment, it's there but I can't change the drive letter. The only option i get is help or delete voulme, though i can change drive letter on disk 0. diskman.png

my guess is that its drive letter is also C: and its just floating around there somewhere.  I've seen some suggestions of doing something with System variables then going to device manager and deleting all the faded usb entries and others.

I have also tried plugging it into the tower but i get the input signal is out of reach or whatever it is. Tried to go into safe mode, but just wouldn't.  Tried the hold down shift and hitting escape and it managed to boot up though very slowly or glitchy, so can't do anything there.

So what do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

Hello,

It all sounds a bit complicated and unclear, but hopefully I've understood you correctly. If the HDD you're trying to recover the files from has a file system that Windows can not read (for example  Ext2/Ext3/Ext4) than you should boot from Linux Live CD or plug the drive to a Linux PC for example, and try to recover your files that way. If you succeed you can than reformat your drive in the needed file system and/or check it's health before using it activly. Waiting for your response.

Hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD

#3 Anon5

Anon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Sorry, i tried to make it clear as possible, but i failed. =(

I always thought windows could read any file system. Anyways that was actually my next plan.

So i will go try that out and let you know

Thankyou for the suggestion / reminder, Citizen_WD

Anon5

Edited by Anon5, 20 February 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#4 Anon5

Anon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

Ah, thankyou kind sir, that did it.

Dealing with that for a week now.

helps to know what can read what.

Thanks again =)

#5 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

I'm glad that your problem was solved so easily and you are always welcome to ask more questions :) 

I will try to make things about file systems in general a bit clearer: 

Windows uses: FAT (usually FAT32), exFAT, NTFS,  and lately ReFS

MacOS:  HFS Plus , Newer versions of OS X are capable of reading and writing to the legacy FATfile systems, as well as the newer NTFS file systems for Windows.

Linux uses:  Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, ReiserFS, XFS, JFS among others.

I hope this info will prove useful. Have a wonderful day, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users