Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Product Review] AVStrike

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Greetings to all readers,

A forum member has recently brought my attention to an AV software vendor known as AVStrike (original post here). Since it is new and not widely known yet, I decided to do some investigation, and sharing them here per Moderator quietman7's request.

Be noted that my analysis currently only cover their website - my friend Aura will share his findings of technical details, complete with previews and his own reviews of the product.

Any mistakes are mine, and I am open to suggestions.

1. Website reputation: The vendor is fairly fresh - no Web of Trust rating and review. It appears that they formed in 2013.

2. Website quality:

- The overall design is very clear-cut and professional - one point to them for that.

- There are subtle typos now and then - things that you won't find in reputable AV vendors' sites. (they misspelled "trial" as "trail" in the Products section, for example)

In case you are wondering about why I point out small things like typos, they are usually the first sign that something is a rogue app. Their promotional video also has typos.

- The site is incomplete - clicking "Site map" brings up an error.

3. Product overview:

- They stated that their product is "Awarded as "Product of the year" and "The best repair program of 2013" by the renowned WorldTech magazine, AVStrike is recognized as the best suited antivirus solution for all your PC problems". I searched for WorldTech magazine and got no hits. Results related to AVStrike also lacks any reference to a magazine.

- The "Award" section only shows one "Virus Free" award from Software Informer - no relevant awards about software capabilities (i.e. AV-Comparatives) that I can see. Their Softpedia certification got me a 410.

- The "Features" section: "Now get the best out of your Windows System by fine tuning your system with tools like Disk Cleaner, PC Cleaner, Startup Manager and Registry Cleaner & Defragmenter". This is bad, because of two reasons:
  • You don't need "registry cleaning". Doing that can break your machine to the point of making it unbootable.
  • Things like temporary file cleaning, startup management and defragmentation can be done via specialized applications (two of which most of you will be familiar with - CCleaner and Defraggler from Piriform), not an AV software. These "bells and whistles" are unnecessary and just bloat the software.
These "tune up" features are what made me distance myself from Avira and AVG. Sorry, but I need an antivirus and not something that can break my machine.

4. Preliminary software observation:

- AVStrike offers a 30-day trial.

- The installer appears to be clean - no bundled crapware.

- System Requirements appear to be fairly low (320MB free space? Interesting.)

I'll leave the technical details to Aura.

5. Customer support: I haven't found any real reviews on customer support - there was only one comment on their Facebook page, and it's not good.

No support forum to speak of. The only way to contact them is by email.

6. AV/AM capabilities: No testing results yet - and I generally do not trust any AV/AM software that do not have testing results to back up their claims. Even if it's "Award-winning antivirus".

I'll give it several years to prove itself in the market. Once the app receives good reviews, then I'll consider it.

7. Pricing: $79.99 for a year and one-time malware removal?

And for some reasons the price on the website above and its promotional video on YouTube is different - intentionally misleading or something?

8. PC Security Glossary: "AVStrike is a premium software that stands to eliminates viruses of all kinds."

For non-savvy users: The broad term for bad things that infect your machines is computer malware (short for "malicious software") - viruses are only one kind of the many malware types out there.

I understand that they might be keeping things simple - as they claimed to be.

No comments on the rest of the glossary.

9. Security blog: For some reason all I get are 404s.

My thoughts regarding this software: Tread with caution. I do not recommend using it - if you choose to use an untested AV software, do so at your own risk.

Meanwhile, just stick to a reputable AV vendor, and get additional AM protection with Malwarebytes or Emsisoft.

Have a great (malware-free) day!

Regards,
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Nice review Alex, looks like the website have been covered up :) For my part, I've been testing the product the whole evening and took a lot of screenshots of it (still working on it). It's late so I have to go to bed soon, but I'll post my review of the product and the screenshots tomorrow and believe me, it's laughable :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Interesting for a business attempting to white flag themselves as a good "AV" company and have little to no background.

Major red flag in my book, thanks Alex for taking the time to review them as it will serve good for anyone curious about this product.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#4 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

To supplement Aura's pending reply, this seems to simply be a GUI on top of ClamAV. The only file in the "db" folder that's not related to ClamAV is 1KB (named "AVStrikeDB.ldb").

Images for reference:
https://i.imgur.com/LCmUy4m.png
https://i.imgur.com/9cFxgEw.png

In addition, a scan did not detect my text file located in their program files directory. The permissions had to be modified by an administrator to create this file. However, the directory is whitelisted from all scans which could pose a threat. Their executables are also code signed.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

In addition, a scan did not detect my text file located in their program files directory. The permissions had to be modified by an administrator to create this file. However, the directory is whitelisted from all scans which could pose a threat. Their executables are also code signed.

Thanks for the comment Ian.

This is really dangerous because malware can directly infect the AV folder and corrupt it, or just plain hiding.

Both Emsisoft and Kaspersky have protection mechanisms to keep malware out of their directories - you can't do anything to the folder when the self-defense module of both AVs is running.

Alex

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:22 AM

AVStrike EULA

Limited Software Product Warranty

For a period of 30 days from the date of shipment or from the date that you download the Software Product, as applicable, AVS warrants that when properly installed and used under normal conditions, the Software Product will perform substantially as advertised.

So they are saying their product is only guaranteed to work as advertised for 30 days.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:24 AM

But only when "used under normal conditions". I wonder what they mean by "normal conditions". Looks like they are just trying to hide themself behind the ineffectiveness of the product.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

They are not hiding anything...they appear to be up front as to how bad their product is.

AVS makes no warranty that the Software Product will meet your requirements or operate under your specific conditions of use. AVS makes no warranty that operation of the Software Product will be secure, error free, or free from interruption.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

That's brutally honest. It's like they are saying themself that their product isn't worth using, and I'll confirm it tonight with my review of the product.

unite_blue.png

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

They are just saying there is no guarantee.

#11 Avstrike _Support

Avstrike _Support

Authorized AVStrike Rep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

Hi Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to look around Avstrike and give us your feedback!  We very much appreciate the comments and suggestions and we are doing our best to live up to your standards J  We fixed most of the things you mentioned and are in the process of completing the remainder.

To your points:

Website Reputation: Yes, we formed Avstrike in 2013. We are listed on websites such as, Cnet, Softpedia and Softonic for Web of Trust rating and review. Please check the links below:

http://avstrike-antivirus.en.softonic.com/

http://download.cnet.com/AVStrike/3000-2239_4-76158599.html

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/AVStrike.shtml

Website quality:

Thanks for the design pointJ

Sitemap is working well (There might have been some development changes at the same time you were checking out our sitemap – we apologize for that).

Customer Support:

We now have a 24/7 chat service so that anyone can contact us anytime. In addition, we now feature a question and answer page on AVStrike.com (a user can ask any question in the Avstrike forum - http://answers.avstrike.com/ ), and lastly, we added our phone number. The Facebook comment is also resolved.

Pricing:

Our pricing was different because we were offering a promotion on youtube.  We are in the process of making sure pricing is consistent.

Security blog -

Blog is working smoothly now. Previously, there were some developmental issues on our blog. It’s now fixed. You are free to check it out now here:  http://www.avstrike.com/blog/

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hello Avstrike _Support

If you are an Authorized Company Representative, please read the information I have just sent via PM to your inbox.

Thanks
The BC Staff

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

To be frank with you Mr. Paul, I suggest that you hire a new writer for your blog.

#14 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to look around Avstrike and give us your feedback!  We very much appreciate the comments and suggestions and we are doing our best to live up to your standards J  We fixed most of the things you mentioned and are in the process of completing the remainder.

/snip

Are you going to address AVStrike charging for free (ClamAV) software?

Edited by iangcarroll, 24 March 2015 - 08:17 AM.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Avstrike _Support read the PM I sent...then blocked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users