Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista home premium oem endless repair loop atapi.sys corrupt

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 leethedeuce

leethedeuce

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hi,
Thank you in advance. I am trying to fix a computer it is stuck in an endless repair loop. I have tried using the backup registry also the MBR fix. Nothing has worked. Also ataport.sys was said to be corrupt. can not boot in safe mode or anything. Done allot of googling not finding solid answers. Can't run tdsskiller from command line or I would try that. Don't want to reformat and reinstall Windows.
Thanks again,
Lee

Edited by leethedeuce, 19 February 2015 - 08:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

Also in the diagnostic and repair details it says signature 5 and signature six corrupt

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Try Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso file and boot. Connecting via Ethernet will allow Kaspersky to update the database. If there is a rootkit it should kill it.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/8097

UserGuide

#4 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:34 AM

Didn't work. Did everything with rescue disk and nothing. Also tried downloading a vista install disk and for some reason it skips right to install and never lets me choose repair which is what would probably work. My guess is because it's a Vista sp2 disk and not oem one... could still use some help here if anyone is using Vista home premium and can just copy and give me the two files I need that might help too...

#5 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:51 AM

Tried cleaning bootrec now fee the Windows failed to start..... file:ataport.sys status: 0xc00000e9 info: Windows failed..because..file is missing or corrupt. Hope this helps me get some answers. Tried everything I can think of. Can't get a vista cd that gives me repair option

#6 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:16 AM

If I were to just install over the existing Windows and it copied the existing Windows to Windows.old, I'm guessing the programs won't work correct?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

You can only do a repair install from within a running Windows so that cannot be an option for you as you cannot boot.

What bootrec commands did you use?

I am not 100% on this but you may have a backup ataport.sys file in your WinSXS folder. I believe the easiest way to navigate that would be using a small linux distro like Puppy or using Aoemi PE builder on a Windows 7 computer if you have one. There are a lot of folders there but you should be able to find a backup ataport.sys with the latest date.

You can use the command prompt of the Vista install disk. Navigate to the C:\windows\winsxs directory and then type

dir /s ataport.sys

which should search through all folders in the winsxs folder and show any ataport.sys files with dates. Then copy the file with the latest date to the C;\Windows\System32\drivers directory. This may be easier to do with an Aoemi PE builder disk.

Do you need any data off the drive? If the computer is OEM you could backup your data and do a factory reset but all your programs added would be gone which is what you do not want to do but in a worse case scenario you could use the factory reset partition if your computer is an OEM.

#8 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

All of three bootrec commands... I'll look for the back up files at the location you gave me. Really don't want to reinstall Windows...especially with all the time ice already wasted.

#9 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

And after bootrec I lost repair option in advanced startup options...so I navigate files now using rescue disk... has not gone well

#10 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

Made a virtual machine of home premium copied the two files I needed. Then got pool header bsod could at least boot to safe mode. An avg sys file was causing bsod so I removed avg. Finally back in Windows...Hope this helps someone else someday... cleaned out malware and used bluescreenview from downloads to find what file was causing bsod.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

That was some nice troubleshooting. Thanks for the update. I am surprised Kaspersky couldn't touch the malware.

#12 leethedeuce

leethedeuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ya now it's still booting very slow so working on that now. Ya MB picked up like 1300 things...lol

Edited by leethedeuce, 20 February 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#13 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

Made a virtual machine of home premium copied the two files I needed. Then got pool header bsod could at least boot to safe mode. An avg sys file was causing bsod so I removed avg. Finally back in Windows...Hope this helps someone else someday... cleaned out malware and used bluescreenview from downloads to find what file was causing bsod.

Wish I could understand this clearly... as my problem is with "avgidsha.sys"... after 3 other avg .sys files...

When I was struggling to read "help" on here a few days ago, (can't find the thread now) I think AustraAlien suggested the AVG rescue cd... which I burned on the old, OLD lappy, but now can't find how to use it! :grinner:

I'll just add, that I KNOW it's AVG as while in Safe Mode, I attempted to open the AVG folder and it "crashed" to the blue screen!!!

Imagine! in safe mode!??!!!  Now, safe mode wont load! stops with the 4th avg file above, says "please wait......"  which of course I've done all night a few nights ago, and nothing!!

THAT'S when I googled the 'avgidsha.sys' and got the suggestion to "rename the files".... using the rescue cd... but I've forgotten the "steps"....

Old duck here!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

Here are the steps using the AVG rescue disk.

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlname=Disabling-AVG-when-Windows-cannot-start

#15 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:08 PM

This is my problem, John....

I have those instructions and read them so many times wondering if I'm "missing" anything....

I cannot boot in safe mode after trying to open the AVG folder on the safe mode desktop....

So... I hit F12 on the way in, as none of the options on the F8 menu work at ALL... in fact, the safe mode will not load past

the "avgidsha.sys" file... there are 3 other avg files that do...

Those instructions in that link say

"LAUNCH AVG rescue CD"... and there you have it!!!! HOW??? I go into Boot Menu and chose

3.  CD/DVD .... hear the drive, tiny white cursor in top left hand of black screen... whirring... then the "start as usually or fix"...whatever comes up... and the rest is repeated!!!

Anyway, HOW do I "launch" this AVG rescue CD??  Let alone "select utilities and then select file manager"!!!!!

I'm at a loss here!

Thanks in advance for your help... x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users