Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Stolen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Hi,

For years I have had a domain hosted with GoDaddy.com. I run a small computer repair business and had a small web site and email so my customers could contact me. Last week, I started getting an invalid password error in Outlook for the email. As this happens from time to time I did not think much about it. After a couple of days, I figured I had better look into it. 

When I tried to login, it told me my user ID/password combination was incorrect. I contacted GoDaddy support. They were unable to verify anything on my account. I then did a whois and found that my domain was taken over by a company called HugeDomains.com. Not only that but they were willing to sell my domain back to me for almost $1000. 

I never received any indication from GoDaddy that my domain was expiring. I was told by GoDaddy that I could file a complaint with ICANN (whatever that is) and they sent me a link to arbitration providers. I checked into it and they want $1300 to start the complaint process. 

Does anyone have any idea on how to handle this? I am just a very small business owner and do not have that kind of money to spend.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

What likely happened is your domain was renewed by someone else - however this is odd as it can take up to 3 months after it going offline (sometimes 1 month) for someone else to be able to re-register it. I would honestly contact HugeDomains and see if they'll tell you how it was procured. They seem like a legitimate business. Although cybersquatting isn't nice, they don't have a history of maliciously taking over domains.

ICANN is the governing body for the entire TLD system (.com, .net, etc). They have the ability to resolve disputes like this via the UDRP system, but usually it requires you hold a trademark.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/cybersquatting-2013-05-03-en

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

HugeDomains is known for this... sadly there is nothing you can do that is cheap and quick. It's illegal in the US what they have done, but the cost and drama of getting it back may not be worth it.

Here is a guide to working to getting your domain back, or choosing not to.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

Reading about this subject there is significant speculation that GoDaddy and Huge Domains are in bed together with this thing.

#5 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:44 PM

Forest Ranch Steve, please let us know if you pursued it further.

What happened to you doesn't sound right. Thanks for the links, Tsvk and Ian. 

#6 Lorel

Lorel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

GoDaddy doesn't send out renewal announcements. I never recommend godaddy for a registrar for that reason (you get the service  you pay for). I have several clients whose domains are registered through GoDaddy-- I keep them informed when their domains are coming do. Good hosting companies like Westhost send out warnings re domain renewals months in advance to prevent this very problem.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Does GoDaddy at least tell you upfront, in writing, that you have to watch for the expiration period and begin renewal before web site expires?  I never have used any domain services other than comland.com, then prismnet.com and finally earthlink.net; those three warned me upfront, in writing, to monitor the expiration dates, and to pay the yearly [or monthly] fee, or lose the site.  I now use sbcglobal.net/att combine, however, not for any web site hosting.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 March 2015 - 09:12 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

GoDaddy used to remind me that my domain was becoming due. Maybe they found that they could make more money this way.

In the interim, I have opened a new domain with a dash in the name. I have already emailed my customers and let them know. 

Surprisingly, one of my customers is an attorney who seems to be interested in the situation. I speak to him this coming Monday. It may be too expensive to pursue, but the consultation is free. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for all of the responses. 

Steve

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the update Steve.

Please let us know how it goes looking at legal proceedings against these scumbags. I am very interested.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users