Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition help in Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hello all

I have a few hard drives, My C drive is an SSD   My "Disk 1" is my G drive and somehow under computer it shows as one full drive but in management it is broken into 3 sections. The middle section has a 13 mg file that may or may not be able to be moved. It is for CrashPlan which is in use right now moving 700 gig worth of files off site. It is also another color. It was the original C drive at one time if that helps

Computer%20partitions.jpg

G%20drive.jpg

Thank you

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

Your G: drive is a Dynamic disk, which allows for software-based RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) configurations. This simply means that you can split your hard drive into multiple partitions and set up different RAID configurations on that drive, such as RAID 0 for striping or RAID 1 for mirroring.

You can find more information about RAID on its Wikipedia article. I hope this clears up any confusion!  :)

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

Ok but can I change it from dynamic to simple ( if simple is the correct term). Just using it it as extra backup space

Thanks for replying
Tom

#4 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply, had to do some work stuff. ^^;

But yes, you're definitely able to convert from dynamic to basic disks. You'll have to backup all your data to another drive though, because the conversion process involves erasing all data on the drive.

After you've backed up all of your data, open up Disk Management and right-click on each volume (partition) in the dynamic disk and select "Delete Volume". Once all volumes/partitions have been deleted, simply right-click on the disk itself and select "Convert to Basic Disk". After that, you should be good to go!  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users