Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Betting Sites - Managing to log even with VPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 k0dex

k0dex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew much about betting sites and how they log computer details, in-particular: bet365

Even with accessing through VPN, they seem to be able to manage to link different accounts from my pc quite quickly then limit them.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by k0dex, 19 February 2015 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

I'm pretty sure that any discussion of gambling, betting, etc. on BleepingComputer isn't allowed to be honest since it's borderline legal in certain countries, states, provinces, etc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 k0dex

k0dex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

I'm pretty sure that any discussion of gambling, betting, etc. on BleepingComputer isn't allowed to be honest since it's borderline legal in certain countries, states, provinces, etc.

mmmm. I'm only really discussing the security measures and how they seem to be matching my pc to accounts, rather than gambling itself.

#4 maggot7

maggot7

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

mmmm. I'm only really discussing the security measures and how they seem to be matching my pc to accounts, rather than gambling itself.

I would agree with that.

If you were to use a VPN, it would be impossible for the sites you access (while using that VPN) to be able to unmask that traffic. Some of them might flag any VPN connections, but not all VPN protocols would reveal themselves as being so to sites visited.

OpenVPN is widely regarded as the most secure option, though it can be a little difficult to set up. I highly recommend freevpn.me for free VPNs (both OpenVPN and PPTP).

Good luck!

(Also, use ipinfo.io to see if the VPN is working correctly.)

Edited by maggot7, 03 March 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#5 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:23 AM

I don't know about betting but can share details about VPN if you want..

#6 j4m3s

j4m3s

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

I have no idea about betting sites and don't want to comment on those in particular.

In general, however, sites don't always track you using your IP. Cookies can be used to track you across IP addresses. For example, if you take a laptop to a coffee shop your IP will be different but the sites you log into will still recognize your computer because they have installed cookies.

As for VPN specifically, there was a recent security flaw discovered in which your browser can leak your IP address. It's not clear that sites are actually exploiting this, but this article does a good job of explaining how it happens and how to stop it: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-see-if-your-vpn-is-leaking-your-ip-address-and-1685180082

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew much about betting sites and how they log computer details, in-particular: bet365

Even with accessing through VPN, they seem to be able to manage to link different accounts from my pc quite quickly then limit them.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

I think what you are talking about is the Browser finger print, every browser has a unique finger print which can identify your computer.

Doesnt matter if you are using a VPN or not, the browser ID would still be the same when you visit the WebServer!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

Somehow this topic got overlooked by the moderating team when it was first posted.

For whatever reason they do have those security measures.

Bleeping Computer rules state

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences. 

This topic is closed. (it would have been closed sooner had we been aware of it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 March 2015 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users