Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 marija_peg

marija_peg

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

My sister's laptop is a Toshiba C650 with Win7 64-bit installed. The problem first started with a sudden screen freeze, after which she got BSOD with the message: Kernel data inpage error

After that she managed to turn it on, it worked slowly at first and then it was OK. But two days later, it would not even turn on, there was only black screen. After a few failed attempts, I finally managed to enter Advanced boot options by pressing F8. First I tried to start with "last known good configuration" but the screen again was completely black. Then again, after some failed attempts to get to Advanced boot options, I managed to enter Safe mode, however, again I got the BSOD with the message:

"unmountable boot volume". My first step will be to insert the Win 7 disc again, as was advised on the blue screen. If you have some suggestions, please share.

She did download some content from the Internet at that time and that could be the cause... Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Use your Win 7 disk to boot to repair options and select Startup Repair. It may take 3 attempts to do a full repair.   If that does not work it could be because of a bad disk or corrupted file system. And, do you need to retrieve any data from the computer? Do you have access to another Windows 7 computer?

#3 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

Yes, I would like to have all the data from the computer! I didn't realize the repair meant that I could lose the data... Thank you for the heads up. I do have access to another win7 computer... Could I try and possibly take out the HD and make an external disc and just copy my data to another computer? What do you suggest? Thank for your answer.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

Startup repair will not delete any data from the computer. I only mentioned if you need data off the computer in case the repair did not work. I would go ahead and try Startup Repair using your install disk. If Startup Repair does not work, you can do a System Restore to a date before the problem but be aware that if any file was added to the desktop after the Restore Date, you would lose that file.

You do not need to take the hard drive out of the case. The safest approach would be to create a WinPE disk using Aeomi PE builder on a computer with Windows 7 or Windows 8. Using that you would boot to the familiar Windows desktop and then transfer your files to an external drive or flash drive. Hopefully Unmountable Boot volume does not indicate a bad drive. If PE builder did not detect the drive then removing the drive would be the next option and placing it in an external enclosure. If you do not have access to another Windows 7 computer you can use a linux live CD like Puppy linux to retrieve the data. As you can see from the image below, Aoemi PE builder will boot to the familiar Windows 7 desktop. Double clicking the Computer Icon will take you to the contents of the hard drive so they may be copied to your external or flash drive.

Desktop.png

#5 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

OK, so I did what you said, I booted from the Win7 installation disc, and selected repair this computer. After a while, I was able to enter system recovery options (it took a while for the search of the OS). However, there is no OS found. I selected 'use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows. Select an operating system to repair.' Should I click on load drivers? If someone could help me asap I would be very grateful!!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

Not having the OS is a problem. I would use the Aoemi disk to recover any data off the drive first. Then do the following.

With the installation disk open a command prompt.

Type the following

Diskpart

list Disk

Select Disk 0

list partition

Post the output:

Diskpart

list Disk

Select Disk 0

list volume

Post the output

#7 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:40 AM

I created an AOMEI bootable flash drive, and I got to the desktop. I entered My Computer, the drive C (where Windows is) and D (where all the data, documents etc. are) were listed, but there was no info on the storage of the drive D as there usually is (as if it failed to recognize it). Also, the green loading line was very slow and stuck at the end. I could not open D. I closed the window and clicked on AOMEI Backupper. The window opened and there were three dots constantly loading for ca 15 mins... I decided to end the task in the Task Manager and clicked on Reboot. This was also unresponsive, so I clicked Shutdown. Now, when I try to reboot again, nothing happens. I get a black screen with a line on the upper left corner and four dots along the upper horizontal line of the screen. :/

Was I impatient, should I have waited longer...? Should I try again with AOMEI (maybe do it all over again, create the bootable PE flash drive)?

#8 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:17 AM

OK, so I created the PE disk again and it successfully booted. I clicked on Partition Assistant some 10 mins ago, but it is still loading... Any suggestions as to what I should do? And thank you for your help.

UPDATE:

It seems it recognized the drive D... The Partition Assistant first loaded C:, partition 1 on disk 1 and now it is loading D:, partition 2 on disk 1.

It is taking a long time, but I will wait this time.

Edited by marija_peg, 03 April 2015 - 04:57 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

Sorry, I missed your post. 

You should not be using the Partition Assistant. Only use Computer to recover your files but your symptoms indicate that the drive may be failing or the file system is severly corrupted.

Please download PartedMagic here. Use Rufus to make a bootable USB flash drive from the iso. Download it to your desktop and double click it. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Where you see freedos select iso in the dropdown box and browse to the PartedMagic iso you downloaded. Boot the Partedmagic USB flash drive. On the desktop is a icon called Disk Health or Gsmartcontrol. Double click that. Run the short test. Post the results.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2015 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users