Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Dummy Linux question.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi everybody, :) 

I have another really newbie Linux question/problem so please don’t laugh.

I’m dealing with an old Dell desktop that is running Windows XP.  I need to keep XP for various programs I need, but I am also aware of the obvious security issues.  The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor revealed too many issues with some of my existing hardware, so, I decided the next best answer was to try dual-booting Linux next to XP.  My first issue was that the system was setup with 2 SATA I, 160 gig drives in a RAID 0 configuration.  I have read many places that Linux doesn’t like Windows RAID, so after a considerable amount of time and work, I did the following:

I removed the two SATA I drives and I replaced them with a single SATA III, 1TB drive.

I successfully restored my image to the new drive, and I removed the RAID drivers.

I successfully aligned the XP image to the new drive’s 4K format.

I resized the new partition to approximately 500 gig to allow ample room for Linux.

The computer now boots and works great, and I have decided on Linux Mint MATE for my system.  My problem is this . . . every time I am ready to click on the “Install Linux” button, I chicken out!  I already have 3 existing partitions, and I don’t know exactly what Linux will do to them.  I intentionally left 500 gig of unallocated space on the drive, so will Linux use that space and partition it?  I thought a drive can only have 4 partitions, but as I understand it, Linux will create 2 or 3 new ones . . . i.e., Swap, Boot and Home.

As usual I am terribly confused.  Would one of you Linux experts please explain what I need to do now?

Thank you very much!

Side note:  Although my system only supports SATA II, the new non-RAID drive seems to run almost as well as the old SATA I RAID 0 setup.  The trade will be worth it if I can accomplish what I want to do. :thumbsup: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hi- I had a similar problem but not with a raid array. I am doing a Zorin "Linux" install and had almost the identical questions. I got some great answers in detail on installing Linux on a separate partition. There is a "Zorin" topic under Linux - where some of the guys gave me great instructions on how to do this- swap partition-boot loader- etc. It will be the same for Linux Mint Mate! If I knew how to- I would just post the link too you,but I am new here as well!! Good Luck! Also - Zorin is a great replacement for XP. Paul

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563695/zorin/  Here is the link my friend!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

Fist off love your user name :thumbup2: and welcome to BC.com!

My Disclaimer lol: "I'm a noob" I think that says it all.  There will be help here soon though so don't worry.  I will say that in my journey I got good help here!  I almost had to use youtube to give me some confidence the same as you.  It helps to see someone else do it via. video, keep looking for vids that suit what you need, google is also your friend.  This is in addition to the help you get here, the vids are just to familiarize you with the install before hand, take notes on them.  You can also take screenshots while in the installer and backout if needed.  Do a search on "Install linux Mint alongside windows" or something to that effect.  There are a lot out there but maybe none that will be exactly what you need, again, just use as a reference.  I can't answer any of your technical questions about RAID and such, but more than happy to answer other simpler questions about install.

If possible you should post your partitions, and maybe some of your basic hardware, cpu, RAM etc., I thnk this will help your answers.

I will say that Mate was an excellent choice and you will be happy once you get used to it!

Were you talking about the Install Icon on the destop? if so, you can click that once you get some guidence here.  You can always back out of that if you don't make any changes.  It is a really cool install tool, easy to use, but, it wil be best to wait and get the info you need to proceed.

When you go into the installer you will want to choose "Something else" and create your own partitions as shown in the video below.  And it will be "root /", "/ home" and swap, linux bootloader will be in root / by default.  Some will put bootloader on seperate partition but for now this will be fine.

I believe that you can only have four Primary Partitions on one drive, and that is what you are asking?  So they might have to be changed but I am not sure.  As long as you only have three or less Primary, I think you will be okay. 

Here is a good video, but, you will have your partitions, XP and such, that you will want to keep so don't touch them.  This video only deals with a clean install and only to be used as a reference.  Beware of some telling you to use gparted to partition first, I don't think you will need this, you will just use the installer and create partitions from there.  If not today you should get some good answers overnight, or in the evening.

Edited by pcpunk, 19 February 2015 - 04:06 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

I thank both of you very much for your replies.  I will take my time and carefully review what each of you have shown me before I “press the button”.

Thanks again :thumbup2:

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

I understand that you have XP installed and want a dual-boot with Linux Mint Mate. If that is the case- the above video will only confuse you. this video is meant for installing Linux on a machine that already has Linux on it. You said you are doing a XP/Mint mate on separate partitions. I have a Window7/Zorin install and it is a little different that the video above. No disrespect to PC Punk but it took me nearly a week to get all the correct info for  a Windows/Linux Install on separate partitions. You can refer to this video but I would highly recommend that you go over to the Zorin link I posted and read all the back and forth comments there. I should make things much clearer!

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

It won't hurt to look at the Manual here: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

make sure you always keep Windows on the First partiton...and only format the Partions  you use for linux.... thats the main 2 problems people get...specially as the distros installer make it so easy to install on a empty disc

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

I would love to make a video for this exact situation, and will do so if I can find the time to learn it.  

MalwareMutilator

It is hard to find a video for your exact situation and that is why I posted the one I did.  Otherwise it will show you how to create the partitions you need.  I'm very surprised you did not get help yet, I will be here until about six eastern if you need help installing.  As long as all is good with your pc as I don't know about all that RAID stuff and such.  I could help you with the install though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

easy-peasey. When you get to the installation screen about where to install it (it will say 'install along side....' and 'replace...' Do neither. check the 'do something else'. on the next screen tell it to use the partition you've allocated to it. You may have to create a swap partition. I'm not sure how to do that from within the installation program but you can start gparted from the installation disk if you can't figure it out. Google 'gparted instructions' for instructions on how to do it. You only NEED 2 partitions, one for /home and the other for /swap. I recommend also one for /home. You only need 9 gig for / (unless you will be installing games from the package manager) 2 gig for /swap and the rest goes to /home.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

I disagree mike, from my short time with linux one should create  root / bigger especially if one has plenty of space.  Also, you don't have to use gparted at all.  All one has to do is chose Free space then the little plus sign and create thier partition size etc. it's all on that video.  Also most, (and I believe the OP can handle it) should create root /, /home and swap- three partitions.  You create swap and everything from the installer, I just can't remember it verbatim.  That is a great video from Jay.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

I agree with PC punk, I would go with a minimum of 20 GiB, This leaves plenty of room for growth,  Things like Photos, MP3's, Videos, Documents and the like.

#13 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

you put Photos, MP3's, Videos, Documents in / ? Photos, MP3's, Videos, Documents go in /home/<user>/ in my book! / in my mint install only uses 8 gig. I allocated 10 until I started to d/l games with synaptic. if you do that the games go into / . Now / is 25 gigs. However, I stand by my assertion that you only NEED 9 gig for / .

Edited by bmike1, 23 February 2015 - 05:41 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#14 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Boot....is small ....root/ you need to think about upgrades and any new programs etc  so should be large enough to cover any future installs...Home/ as large as you like..and Swap/  i would put equal to your ram.....unless you have heaps of that already..then you dont need much

But Buntus based  distros may reccommend different... ...

if you have  and will use windows  you may want to look at having a seperate partition for storing files to use with both...though that may need a different format...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users