Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buggy Windows 7 Updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 New2malware

New2malware

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

I've had a couple of tech questions for quite awhile now.  Hoping you all can answer.

A while back (a LONG TIME back) my computer malfunctioned after installing a Windows update.  I had to use system restore to get things going again.  I guess this happens now and then.

After that fiasco, I disabled automatic updates.  And forgot.  And forgot. And forgot to install updates.

1)  Now, I have a backlog of updates.  Should I install them all at the same time?  If not, what order would you recommend?

2) Is there anyway to find out--before I install--if any of them are buggy and should be avoided?  A list, somewhere of bad updates?

Thanks much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hi again New2malware :)

To be honest, there's nothing wrong in installing every Windows Updates at once. This is what I always do and I never encountered a single "Failed Update". Who knows, maybe I'm just lucky, or I'm doing it the right way. I suggest you to keep the "Important Updates" enabled by default, since these are updates critical to the Windows OS in term of stability, performance and mostly security. You should only get these kind of updates on the second Tuesday of every month, during Patch Tuesday. Unless of course, some critical vulnerability is found in Windows and needs to be patched sooner than that. Right now, I would make sure that your computer/laptop is connected via an Ethernet cable (wired connection), then I would install all your Important Updates in Windows Updates. Once this is done, I would restart your computer and search manually for new updates and install them. Repeat until no new ones (Important Updates) are found. Here's how:

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;
Usually, "buggy" Windows Updates are rolled back from the distribution, so you don't have to install them. It'll only happen for "new" Windows Updates or Windows Updates that are still being delivered but are known to be buggy in exceptional conditions (like when a certain program is present on a system). I can't find a website that catalog every bad Windows Updates, maybe someone here knows about one.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 New2malware

New2malware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Thanks so very much!  You have a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate that you're willing to share!

(By the way...still working on that other thing!)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

No problem :) And I opened a thread for you on Malwarebytes forums to report the issue and see what they can tell me about it, right here (if you want to follow it for future answers)

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/165064-question-malwarebytes-causing-bsods-mbam-serviceexe-vs-fwpkclntsys/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 New2malware

New2malware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

Thanks so very much!  Really appreciate all of your help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users