Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 keeps booting with a Temp Profile.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ajm690

ajm690

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

A client brought in their PC for a clean up and for me to remove a printer they did not use.  While I was uninstalling the printer the PC crashed showing me a light blue screen with a sad face saying that something went wrong and that the computer needed to restart to resolve the issue.  Since then it will not boot into the user profile, it keep going into a Temp profile.  I have scanned the computer and removed all virus and malware activity.  I have run a SFC scan and repaired the corrupt files it found.  I have tried to do a System Restore, but that keeps failing (no mattter how far back I go).  I have tried to create a new user account so I could migrate is profile over but it starts to go into PC Settings and then closes to the start menu.  This is the first time I have seen this with Windows 8 and for the life of me I can't resolve it.  The only thing I can think of is backing up the clients data and reinstalling Windows.  Anyone have any ideas before I do a backup and reinstall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

I've not had the pleasure of a BSOD in Windows 8 yet, but: windows-8-blue-screen-of-death-replaces-crash-details-with-a-sad-face http://www.geek.com/news/windows-8-blue-screen-of-death-replaces-crash-details-with-a-sad-face-1421217/

In order to migrate the files are you using 'the' Admin account?

Attached Files

#3 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

Before migrating the User files into a new Account.

Take a look at Method 2 here http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-fix-temporary-profile-in-windows-7/

I know it is Windows 7 but it's similar in Windows 8 - I can't say that about method 1 though as I have not studied it.

Do back up the User files before messing around experimenting (and the registry of course)

Edited by HairCut, 19 February 2015 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users