Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008 r2 GPT.ini file deleted/missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chianderson

chianderson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

So I recently found that the gpt.ini file was missing/deleted from our domain controller.  I've gone through our backups to see if I could restore from there but it's missing in each one.  The GPO is still in the group policy manager and the folder in the sysvol directory is there.  So just the GPT.ini file is gone.  Is there a way to restore/recreate/fix/import the missing file?  If not, what is the best method to repair the default group policy file?

Thanks,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Can you navigate to that file in Sysvol using Windows Explorer, or is it gone completely?

If it's missing entirely, you can try recreating it. Make sure to change the GUID of the replacement default group policy: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/556025

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if he will reply back, anyway.

query the key here "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine" this should give you the machine GPO's and like techguy said you should be able to get the GUID.

I would then use rsop.msc and see what fails and where to see where the GPO was meant to be applied IE((Machine or User, this can be obtained from the reg key above as well (GPOID))

#4 chianderson

chianderson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I used the dcgpofix to rebuild the default group policy which has resolved the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users