Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed Fluctuating Dramatically (Paypal Reward)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garrettmoore

garrettmoore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

Will Paypal you $10 if you solve this.

Problem-

The internet is unusably slow at times, Speedtest.net confirms DL speeds of 1.5 MBPS, upload speed will not even register.

Background-

Lenovo tower running 64 bit Windows 7 SP1, purchased about two months ago. All Windows updates installed.

Problem started two days ago, no changes made prior to issue arising.

Wireless internet connection.

Two other computers on wireless network run fine.

Every other program loads and runs fine.

Malwarebytes Premium scan comes back clean.

Signal strength indicated as "Good", 3/5 bars.

Uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials - no change.

Problem occurs with both IE and Chrome.

At idle, Task Manager indicates 0 applications running. 65 Processes, CPU Usage 0-13%, Physical Memory 37%.

Sometimes a restart will fix the issue, other times it doesn't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

Can you connect via a wired connections on the computer and see if the same thing happens? That would help isolate whether it is a wifi issue or something else.  After that I would suspect some malware running not being picked up by malwarebytes. You may have to post in the malware section of the forum and have the experts run you through the series of programs to troubleshoot your system. 

Edited by mralias518, 19 February 2015 - 11:43 AM.

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 garrettmoore

garrettmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

Can you connect via a wired connections on the computer and see if the same thing happens?

I ran an ethernet cable to the router and it's running perfectly now. I may just leave it this way but any thoughts on a solution to the wireless issue?

#4 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

Can you connect via a wired connections on the computer and see if the same thing happens?

I ran an ethernet cable to the router and it's running perfectly now. I may just leave it this way but any thoughts on a solution to the wireless issue?

Could be the wifi drivers. Might have changed when you were not looking. Try uninstalling them and then re-install to see if that solves the problem. Wired connection is always better IMO. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users