Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

plastic and devices (sorry not sure where this belongs)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

I live in a major city and bed bugs are a major problem.  So far I'm lucky, but know many who are not so lucky (and I quit visiting with them in person until they get their problem fixed, not going to contaminate my home).

Anyway, I've heard you shouldn't store your computers, pads, cell phones, ereaders, etc. in plastic due to electrical discharge.  However, want to keep nasty bugs out if I'm out and about (I always check my clothes thoroughly when I get home) or they get into my apartment building.  I've heard of many people complain of bed bugs coming out of their ereaders, cell phones, computers, pads, etc. while using them.

I was hoping it would be OK to place my ereader (and if I eventually get a cell phone) into a zip lock bag when not in use.  Would this damage the electronics?

If so, any ideas how to protect my electronics?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

I have never had a problem with any electronics in any type of plastic. Also I used to use static arm bands while building computers (the first few times) but after working at a tech shop where no one used them, I stopped. Never once was there a case where static shock killed a device even while building pc's in the dry climate in the cold state of MN. Of course we did take precautions such as touching a grounded metal computer case before touching any delicate parts which seemed to be more than enough.

I would say without any doubt it would be fine to put everything into a plastic bag. If you are worried, before pulling anything out of those bags, touch something that is metallic like your car door etc.

Also, I have seen some disgusting critters in laptops so I can see why you feel this way.

Edited by zingo156, 19 February 2015 - 09:10 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Any idea what I can do to protect my desktop when not in use?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Protect it from static or bugs? Even though I keep an extremely clean house, I burn wood to heat, which means spiders and other critters do get in occasionally. I have seen 1 spider inside of my desktop. What I do to prevent having problems is dust out my desktop about once a month by using a vacuum cleaner in blower mode. You could put filters where ever there are holes (fan holes and case holes). In theory that would keep the bugs out. It does restrict airflow a bit so if you have a gaming rig or video editing rig that generates a lot of heat, watch your temps for a while. Also filters need to be replaced or they will block airflow entirely, that is a bad situation and can lead to early failure with components.

I guess there is no perfect solution but filters for fan holes is probably one of the best. Specific cases are more sealed than others. Mine has holes all over so it would be nearly impossible to block them all.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users