Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added Extra Ram Sticks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

I originally had 1 512 mb in 1 slot which i removed today and have tried to upgrade,

Just added 2x1gb to the 2 slots  to my Desktop PC :

Intel celeron D

512mb MB DDR2 Memory

3.33Ghz

I have checked the system general tab and it shows 992MB of Ram

In  the downloaded programme CPU-Z  it states in info on my system :

type, DDR2  size, 2 Gbytes ,# channel Single

in next tab ( SPD) ,in the memory slot selection, slot 1 and  slot 2 have 1024 Mbytes in each slot

I would appreciate some help as there seems to be a problem, any ideas i would be very grateful for.

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

Please...follow the directions and Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hi There hamluis

here is the Speccy Report  thank-you very much for all your kind instructions doing a great work on the Forum :thumbup2:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lrFpxe8IKgE6uk68aXMWFAq

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

Appears that 2 1GB modules are properly installex, reflecting a total of 2GB installed...as should be. 

The system tab will not reflect the true quantity of RAM installed...it will remove quantities of RAM used for onboard video and other Windows processes. 

I don't believe there is any problem.

I believe it is your choice of data source...which is the problem, not the RAM itself.

If you go Start/Run...type msinfo32...and then scroll down to Physical Memory on the right side, it will reflect the true RAM installed.  If this is not 2GB, then we have a problem.

Louis

#5 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi Again hamluis ,how are you? nice to meet someone from Texas ,i'm over the pond from you in the UK.

i followed your instructions    msinfo32...and then scroll down to Physical Memory on the right side,

this is what i found: in order going down,

Total Physical  Memory       1024.00

Available Physical Memory   649.82

Total Virtual Memory             2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory      1.96 GB                   It does seem to be a problem hope i can get this fixed !Thanks for your time on this hamluis much appreciated Ben

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

Well...I would remove each RAM module.  Then I would install one module in Slot 1 to see if it's recognized and system boots.  If so, shut down...move that same module to Slot 2 and see if system boots.

Remove that module.

Take other module then go through same procedure for it.

Shut down.  Put both modules in...try to boot...see what is reflected for Total Physical Memory by running msinfo32 again. 

Reverse the modules in the slots...try to boot...see what is reflected for Total Physical Memory by running msinfo32 again.

Louis

#7 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hello humluis,

thanks for going through those steps for me

i will give it a try and see how it works out .good to have a Coach too!

Cheers :thumbup2:

Ben

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Another thing to check. Run Msconfig. Under the boot.ini tab click the advanced button and make sure the Max Memory box is not checked. Make sure there is not a max memory setting in your boot,ini file.

#9 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Another thing to check. Run Msconfig. Under the boot.ini tab click the advanced button and make sure the Max Memory box is not checked. Make sure there is not a max memory setting in your boot,ini file.

Hi,

thank-you for your input john_c  had a quick look in boot.ini and its not checked so its not that then

thanks for youir advice.Ben

#10 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi Again!

I have taken out one of the  1MG Ram sticks from one of the two slots,

I have checked the system, general tab, and it  now shows 480 MB of Ram

Checked in   msinfo32      Total Physical Memory 512MB

and have the result from the Piriform Speccy report below showing 1 slot with 1024 Ram in

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zgf3o80y8qHbTpQBm7sO1Ko

I will check the next Ram Stick  ,Thanks for any help in advance ,Ben

#11 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

I have swapped all the Ram Sticks around in various Slots now from the help of the forum and  i have returned  the 2x 1GB to the Original slots

and in msinfo32  in  Total Physical Memory 1024MB

in Task manager :Total Physical Memory    1014MB

:Commit   512MB           

in System General Tab                992MB

When i only used 1GB of Ram in a slot the Task Manager Commit was 379MB  and Physical Memory was 489MB and  in msinfo32 was 512 total Physical Memory, Does any one on the forum Have any ideas on whats going on with my Ram?

I was presuming that after putting 2 GB in my PC it would of been closer to 1.5-1.7GB at the very least!

I would really like some help please Ben.

BTW thanks for all the advice so far too.

Edited by Ben_26, 21 February 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

I may be guessing on this but it may be because the RAM modules you have are a higher density than what the MB can accept. See this Corsair Thread. Just to be sure, how much memory is detected in the BIOS settings? If it is half, then it may be the RAM modules are not compatible. If BIOS shows the full amount then I am not sure what the problem is.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

Honestly...since those are Crucial modules, I would contact them.  It appears that those are relatively new modules.  EDIT:  I just checked Crucial's site and they reflect no RAM for your motherboard.

Who suggested you buy the modules chosen?  From whom did you purchase them?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#14 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

Honestly...since those are Crucial modules, I would contact them.  It appears that those are relatively new modules.  EDIT:  I just checked Crucial's site and they reflect no RAM for your motherboard.

Who suggested you buy the modules chosen?  From whom did you purchase them?

Louis

Hi ,Thanks hamluis, for all your previous efforts in helping me out, much appreciated too.

In answer to your question, Yes your right they don't reflect Ram for my Motherboard, i bought these Modules from Crucial in the UK from the online website and if wrong This would be the second time of sending me the wrong ones,

The very first time from the crucial scan showed no updates for my motherboard and system thats why i chatted  on the on line Live chat with customer service I was advised in the live chat from Egypt that the adviser had found a match when i received them  they were wrong ,so when i contacted him again

he apologised and explained he looked up  and sent the  wrong ones( DDR ) when he said they should of been  DDR2.

So sent these different ones which are  product number  CT12864AA667  M8FM 1GB 240-PIN DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-5300 UNBUFF   If they didn't  have mine it would of been much better to just say so!

I was a bit worried of going into my Bios as i didnt want to accidently change anything hamluis but any instruction would be great though

Thanks for your help Ben

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Contact Crucial...they need to get it right or admit that they don't have modules for that motherboard, IMO.

Board Specs , these call for DDR2 modules.

FWIW:  DDR modules don't even fit in DDR2 slots, differing pin counts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users