Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OCR / Scanner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

Ok using a cannon MG 3502 printer which comes with lousy basic OCR software. 

Is there better / free OCR software that I can use after I scan  the doc; that would look; be easy to save the doc and get set up the same as the original document and get add / remove text as needed  ? 

The bare bones on that came with the printer is bloody awful; the finished doc looks nothing like the original doc and hope I can do a whole better ! ? 

Thanks so awaiting the help . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

There is virtually no free-ware OCR software, and what there is isn't very good - I've looked !  And good OCR software is fairly expensive,

One problem is that the software bundled with scanners is usually two or three generations out of date. The other problem is that OCR software seems to 'learn' as you use it, and the more you use it the better it gets at recognising the sort of documents you are scanning. The biggest problems I have found with it lie in the area of document formatting. You sometimes need to play with the settings that define the document image - it may look like single column to you but not to the scanner. One other easily adjusted setting (usually !) is the resolution you scan the document at. This needs to be at least 300 dpi for good results.

So, unless you are willing and able to pay out a fair chunk of cash for market leading software, you are probably stuck with what you have. But experimenting with the settings can lead to satisfactory results but you can expect still to do a fair bit of re-formatting of your document.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

Dang well will wait for other comments beyond that have found several OCR s for free but no idea which has the best track record

dang it so maybe its all hit or miss hum ? 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

You could always look for reviews of the products you have found, but apart from that it is just 'suck it and see what it tastes like' i'm afraid.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users