Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux has 2,000 new developers and gets 10,000 patches for each version

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Nearly 2,000 developers started contributing to Linux in the past 15 months, making up nearly half of all developers writing code for the open source operating system kernel.

The new developers are helping fuel an ever-bigger Linux community, according to the latest Linux Kernel Development report, which will be released today by the Linux Foundation. The report is expected to be available at this link.

The rate of Linux development is unmatched," the foundation said in an announcement accompanying the report. "In fact, Linux kernel 3.15 was the busiest development cycle in the kernel’s history. This rate of change continues to increase, as does the number of developers and companies involved in the process. The average number of changes accepted into the kernel per hour is 7.71, which translates to 185 changes every day and nearly 1,300 per week. The average days of development per release decreased from 70 days to 66 days."

Linux has 2,000 new developers and gets 10,000 patches for each version

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

I definitely love seeing Linux getting bigger and bigger, but there's still a question that nags me in the back of my head:

Just how many of those developers are consistently developing?

Don't get me wrong--that's still quite an impressive number, even if all 2,000 people only pushed one change. Heck, even with only hundreds of those 2,000 developing in their bored/free time, that's still a ton of development made towards the kernel. I'm also curious: Just what changes and how many changes are going on behind the scenes? I mean, what can't the Linux kernel do at this point?  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users