Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good desktop setup for website hosting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

I am looking at hosting my website on my personal desktop at home. I'm looking at something pretty sleek. I want to get the following hard drive with these specs. Is this a good buy for 230$?

ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 Desktop

Processor 1.5 GHz Intel Celeron  RAM 4 GB DDR3  Hard Drive 500 GB Number of USB 2.0 Ports 4 Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
Brand Name Asus Series VivoPC-VM40B-02 Item model number VivoPC-VM40B-02 Operating System Windows 8.1 Item Weight 2.6 pounds Item Dimensions L x W x H 7.48 x 2.21 x 7.48 inches Color Silver Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 1 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Flash Memory Size 100.0 Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400 RPM Audio-out Ports (#) 1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

If you're looking to seriously host a website and open it up to the internet, you'll need to do a heck of a lot to secure it. Is it just for testing purposes, just a site for friends, or a full-on public website? And would it be running Windows, Linux, or some other type of OS? If I had more information to go on and what you're trying to do with it, I could give you a much better opinion on hardware/software for running a web server.  :P

#3 JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

I'm basically just going to put apache on it and an ftp service then create a website to run on my own and then if i wanted to get serious with it i would buy a hosting service. I will also be building programs for saas and doing a fair amount of php consulting for various websites remotely. Does this help at all?

#4 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

In that case, I would definitely recommend getting something small for hosting a web server initially--I'd recommend a Raspberry Pi, since they're crazy portable and can pull their weight when it comes to barebones web servers. Plus they're super cheap! You'd be working with Linux though, and Linux is almost assuredly what you'd want to get into when working strictly with web-based administration and server maintenance.

After testing it locally, you should be pretty safe opening it up to the internet if you secure it decently and are very careful about monitoring your network activity. Setting up your own web server (on cheap hardware, of course) is definitely an awesome experience that'll benefit you with experience and knowledge of how web servers work.

Once you feel ready to really push the site to the public or it starts getting popular, it's up to you to choose what type of hosting you'd prefer: shared hosting, VPS hosting, or dedicated hosting. I typically recommend shared hosting initially, since it has relatively little cost per month and allows for decent bandwidth and storage space. A VPS is a bit more costly, but allows you root access to your own virtual server and allows you to set it up how you want (like how you'd set up a home web server). Dedicated hosting is very costly, and isn't really a viable solution most of the time, but dedicated hosting involves leasing dedicated physical hardware for your website(s), which allows for TONS of resource availability and customization.

Ultimately, it'll be up to you to choose which path to take, but for local testing and setup, I would definitely recommend either getting a Raspberry Pi, re-purposing old hardware as a testing environment, or even running web server software on your own computer.  :thumbup2:

For my most recent site, I did development on the Raspberry Pi, opened up my router to web traffic to the Pi, then after a bit of testing with friends and deciding that it was good to go, I uploaded the site to a web host and that's where they reside now (and also where I administer the site). I'm not trying to sway you in any particular direction; rather, I'm wanting to put all of the information I can out there so that you can make an informed decision.

I hope this info was of some help!  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users