Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need to buy 3G Modem with External Antenna

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

I am moving out into the country where there are no ADSL services available and 3G is patchy. My ISP recommends getting a 3G modem with an external antenna. 

Does any one have any recomendations. It is a temporary so cheaper the better, it doesnt need to be perfect.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

Your best bet might be from whomever you'll get the service from. Who is your carrier going to be?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

Thats what I thought. The provider will be Telstra

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:05 AM

Do you have a cell phone/plan with them already? Maybe your phone can be used as a hot spot? 

All their plans seem to be on a 24 month contract. Not too bad on prices just need to watch for overage. Could get REALLY expensive. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,685 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:43 AM

My ISP recommends getting a 3G modem with an external antenna.

Then they should have no problem with letting you try it out first for say a week or two, I know a few people on Telstra 3g in country Victoria that still have problems even after getting an antenna, My best advice is talk to your new neighbours, See what they use, Go into a PC shop in the new town and ask them what works,  You can also try a pre paid option, Most Woolies and Coles have them, The modem costs about $50 and you get 1 GiB of data with that. Above all do not let them talk you into a contract without a written guarantee that you will have good signal, You dont want to be stuck with a 2 year contract and no internet.

Maybe your phone can be used as a hot spot?

I agree, Try tethering your PC to your mobile and see how it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users