Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this substance belong here?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cloudyskies

cloudyskies

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hey everyone,

I was dissasembling a Sony VAIO VPCF1 to take a look at a faulty keyboard when I noticed a strange white substance underneath it. Upon looking at another dissasembly guide, I didn't notice anything similar in the same spot. I was wondering if that should be there or it's some sort of liquid spill from the person I'm fixing this for. It kind of looks like dried up thermal compound, but I'm not sure. When replacing the keyboard, should I clean it off? Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you have an idea!

Thanks!

VUwQARC.jpg      5HRTCzR.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

It looks  more like spillage - possibly milk - to me than thermal compound. I've split more than a few heatsinks and it just doesn't look like a broken thermal bond. In any case keyboards don't generate any significant heat and don't need cooling.

I'd just clean it off and have a look at the underside of that pale gray surface especially around the right hand and bottom edges (in your photo) in case there is any penetration into the motherboard. You may have found the cause of the faulty keyboard !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cloudyskies

cloudyskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

It looks  more like spillage - possibly milk - to me than thermal compound. I've split more than a few heatsinks and it just doesn't look like a broken thermal bond. In any case keyboards don't generate any significant heat and don't need cooling.

I'd just clean it off and have a look at the underside of that pale gray surface especially around the right hand and bottom edges (in your photo) in case there is any penetration into the motherboard. You may have found the cause of the faulty keyboard !

Chris Cosgrove

This was exactly what my original though was! It wouldn't make sense for it to be thermal compound, but I had to ask just in case. Anyhow, my second question: is the keyboard fixable? Could it be just the buildup that's preventing the keyboard from working, or is it likely to be totally dead?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

Looks like electrolysis or dried milk....maybe that is the source of the problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 cloudyskies

cloudyskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

Oddly enough, I don't see any sign of spillage on the underside... How liquid could've gotten in is beyond me at this point.

gGnHIbC.jpg

Edited by cloudyskies, 18 February 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

It actually looks like a bad lamination job on the cover shield for the keyboard.  The top sizes are water resistant so a little water under the edge, over time would cause bubbles under the lamination sheet.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

It may be that mjd420 has put his finger on it. If you look at that right hand corner of the backing surface in your last photo - where the backing appears to have split - it looks like you have exactly the same sort of marks on both sides of this surface. It is odd, as you say, that the bottom of the key switches themselves look perfectly clean.

You don't say exactly what the keyboard problem was that took you on this voyage of discovery, but the fact that the base of the keys is clean suggests that this discoloration is not, or at least not directly, responsible. Having done all the work to get into this keyboard I would be inclined to replace it and clean up this white marking.

I have to say you take an excellent photograph !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 cloudyskies

cloudyskies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

It may be that mjd420 has put his finger on it. If you look at that right hand corner of the backing surface in your last photo - where the backing appears to have split - it looks like you have exactly the same sort of marks on both sides of this surface. It is odd, as you say, that the bottom of the key switches themselves look perfectly clean.

You don't say exactly what the keyboard problem was that took you on this voyage of discovery, but the fact that the base of the keys is clean suggests that this discoloration is not, or at least not directly, responsible. Having done all the work to get into this keyboard I would be inclined to replace it and clean up this white marking.

I have to say you take an excellent photograph !

Chris Cosgrove

That could very much be it!

I was taking a look at this keyboard because it had suddenly stopped working entirely. The backlight was functioning, but the keys were not, so I decided to investigate the reason when I discovered this mess!

Also, that's a bit much for me to hear conisdering I took these pictures with a low end smartphone camera :blush:

Edited by cloudyskies, 19 February 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

As the old song says "It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it, and the way you do it !"

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users