Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup user files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mianake

mianake

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hi

Not sure where to post this, here or Windows 7 or elsewhere.

I have been trying to backup a user account on a Seagate external hard drive.  What is odd, is that it seems to back up the files, but when I try to find it I cant find the entire user account.  When I search for individual files, I can find the file .  THis would seem to mean I have to remember each file to find it.  

Specifically, I have various documents and pictures on my EDrive under various user accounts.  I tried to back up newaccount by selecting that for backup - the data files for the library and the user new account.  I then backed it up.  

I then tried to restore - when I go to browse the folders or drive to find it, I see other users, but not new account.  See pic 1.  

If I search for a folder in newaccount, I find it, and it says it is user/newaccount.  see pic y

Only thing I see is when I choose where to restore, there is no empty triangle to the left of new account.  see pic z

any ideas what i am doing wrong.  

Sorry, cant find how to attach a pic, will see if I can figure out. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

What software are you using to do your backups?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mianake

mianake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Microsoft Windows Backup I think, whatever comes with Windows7. 

I changed a bunch of backup settings, and now it seems to work.  no idea whichone cause the good change.  

sorry for the post!

Edited by mianake, 18 February 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:54 AM

In the event that you would rather keep your backup under your roof, a good external hard drive and one of the free backup programs will do the job nicely. The 'cloud' still has a few things to prove to me before I'm willing to use it for critical activity.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users