Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Fan Extremly loud

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alebarbar991

alebarbar991

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

Hey guys I need help here,
I have looked everywhere on the Internet and it just seems no one has or has helped resolve this issue I am suffering with,
My Power Supply's fan is Extremly loud, I took the gate off recently to have a look myself and check whether it was dusty or loose etc... It is not dusty a di have tried loosen the fan and tighting it even more but nothing helps the sound, I have moved the case into several places and it is certainly just the fan, I don't even have to have power going to it and all I have to do it spin the fan quickly and you can hear the sound, it is like a constant BRRR sound, the case is not hot at all and if the power is running and I stop this certain fan manually the whole computer is beautifully silent.
I have no idea how to fix this it seems to be the fan itself and that only, I have noticed slowing the spins stops the sound so is there anyway of doing that without voiding the warranty? and if needs be my case and internal parts there are many fans will it be safe to stop that fan and just use all the others?
Thank you please reply soon!
The video above shows the problem please watch it to get the full picture! :)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

Your psu fan likely has bad bearings. This happens quite often. You can replace the fan however, I do not recommend opening a power supply as the capacitors within have the ability to kill instantly. It is generally my recommendation instead to replace the power supply unit entirely.

DO NOT run the psu without a fan. In other words, no it is not ok to stop that fan.

If it is under warranty, the manufacturer should replace the psu at no charge or replace the fan.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2015 - 04:26 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 alebarbar991

alebarbar991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Would you say it is safe to stop this fan for a while just to do a short burst of gaming?
I ask this since my computer has many fans around it and it never seems to get very hot so is it safe?
Thank you by the way for the fast reply :D

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

I would not. Gaming will put a larger load on the psu which will make it run hotter. Disabling that fan might cause the psu to fail and possibly destroy other components when it does.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 alebarbar991

alebarbar991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Ok ^^ thank you for your answers they have helped :D
One final thing though, is there a u sort of home remedy I could do to it which may somewhat help the sound,
Or is replacing the only option it seems?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

Sometimes oiling the fan will help, it wouldn't be easy, you have to get oil to the bearings of the fans, DO NOT spray oil using a spray bottle to spray oil at or on the fan.

To oil a fan, you'd probably have to take the psu apart, take the fan apart (some do not come apart without being broken), then put oil into the bearings. In most new fans that bearing housing is enclosed, meaning you likely couldn't oil it anyway.

I would just deal with the noise until you can replace the PSU.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2015 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users