Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Directed to start topic here from prior post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 JDG123

JDG123

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Prior post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564679/lost-control-of-brand-new-ros-g751-limped-into-safe-mode/page-2#entry3631218

I am down to using a phone now so please excuse typos, im doing my best! Im not sure what to list that wasnt already in the other post. I have ( or I guess maybe inshoukd say I "had") 3 fairly new laptops -Toshiba Sat, Lenovo Thinkpad, ASUS rog g751...The Toshiba Sat cant find OS, The ROG 751 cannot find it, and the thinkpad is sidelined for now as it is used for business, however the thinkpad exhsbits the early stages of what bith ur asus and toshiba went through.

i am at a loss,,,,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

checking in, thought id mention a few more detaile in case they matter...

i have kasperky rescue cd and loads but doesnt fix the machine
aftr exiting rescue disk windiws recovery options load but cannot repair sltartup, locate the system image that is on the machine, or locate any of the numerous dates for resetting. These options lead to a "cancel" only option as wndows cannot find the files, and some progrAms open then immediately get closed out.

on restart, red box with error and windows never loads.

inalso have fixit util disk. and systm mchanic they both load but cannt repair sysem and fix a partition setting that is messed up. Also getting a bad synature weror msg at startup also

i can log into bios. i cannot flash the bios thugh, as the current bios with same date installed in machine already (eror msg). i didntry defaulting bios but it didt help. I also tried my USB recovery i made...it disnt work.

#3 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/567498 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

step2.gifIf you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new FRST log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download FRST by Farbar from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.

FRST Download Link

• When you go to the above page, there will be 32-bit and 64-bit downloads available. Please click on the appropriate one for your version of Windows. If you are unsure as to whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, please see this tutorial.
  • Double click on the FRST icon and allow it to run.
  • Agree to the usage agreement and FRST will open. Do not make any changes and click on the Scan button.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Post the new logs as explained in the prep guide.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#4 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

My machine is an ASUS ROG G751 that was apx one week old when I posted here. In January, some sort of malware did the same thing to my toshiba satllite (apx a year old running win 8.1 64). Ther is also a work machine: a lenovo thinkpad running win 7, and it is showing symptoms but still functioning.

At this time, my g751 has reverted back to the condition it was in prior to my original thread. I cannot load windows beyond the troubleshooting options which wont work. I can utilize kaspersky rescue disk and either fixit utik or system mech which indicate partition drive information missing.

I dont tust anything on this machine. i dont know how to reinstall windows, but the previous windows reset we did didnt ckear the malware, and the bios wil not flash because the current bios date is not newer and the dates are the same (according to the error msg).

i had made a recivery flash drive (wont work) and the machine has a recovery partition (wont work).

i dont know what is doing this to all my machines, or where it is hiding, but im trying not to use the thinkpad unless absolutely necessary for fear of losing it as well.

i am unable to run frst. i dont know the name of the malware doing this, and i dont know how to reinstall the factory windows as the startup recovery options error out.

#5 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 38,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Greetings,

I don't think the Malware Forum is the appropriate Forum given your symptoms and the fact there is no workable information available. You really need assistance in figuring out how to install Windows 7 using your Recovery Flash drive (even though you say it doesn't work) or by other means.

The Windows 7 Forum will not help you while you have an open Topic in the Malware Forum. Please let me know if you plan on posting a Topic there and I will close this Topic.

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Greetings,

===================================================

3 Day Bump

It has been more than 3 days since my last post.
  • Do you still need help with this?
  • If after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed.

Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#7 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

sorry for the delay, i got the asus up and running (and the asus is windows 8.1...i mentioned the thinkpad which is win 7 and i think i muddied the water). both machines had system files corrupted. this is preventing the thinkpad from updatint windows or running chkdsk repairs or WMI/tiworker/trusted installer.

to repair the ASUS I had to use a windows recovry tool and either the tool or the malware has caused microsoft to ban my windows product key on the asus (which was purchased new a few weeks ago in January). it appears my key may have been stolen and used to install a large number of windows 8 programs (probably in Russia based on what i found).

At this point I am considering buying windows 10 when it comes out and doing a new install on th ASUS...i dont really like Win 8 AT ALL...and i just dont know what other options I have.

i realize that this is no longer a malware discusion, but i also realize that you likely have infintely more computer knowledge than I, so I just wanted to ask for your advice and see if you had any other ideas or suggestions for moving forward before closing the thread out. Thank you for your help!

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

I am not sure what recovery tool you are referring to. Did you do a factory reset? If your computer came with Windows 8 pre-loaded your system should be able to be activated with the Product Key assigned to that computer. If it won't activate online you may be able to do it via telephone.

I understand when Windows 10 is released it will be offered as a free upgrade. See here.

Gary

#9 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

i did factory reset. I called microsoft for verification and was apparently routed to an over seas call center rep who was extremely unhelpful and said my key was banned/blocked by MS and the key is hidden in my bios. The rep offered no assistanve and directed me back to ASUS.

#10 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

Do you have a Product Key sticker on the computer?
Gary

#11 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

no sir, not that I have seen at least... this machine is only a few weeks old and went south within about 10 days of receipt....It was purchased in January and is an ASUS ROG G751, my understanding was that the key was buried in BIos to prevent pirating. It would seem to me that putting it in the machine like this would lend itself to a different kind of piracy, but im ignorant in this area and could be wrong. Regardless, I expected a $2,000.00 laptop to fair better, and in my opinion the software key should never be hidden from the owner.

#12 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

Should it not still be under warranty and able to be returned?
Gary

#13 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Im working on that now...but i dont know what is covered under the warranty. i figure theres a good possibility ASUS will get the machine and claim they arent responsible for whatever went wring with it and then charge me a hefty fee for looking at it. ive been down that road before with Intuit and it is incredibly frustrsting! I also hate having to mail it off and wait forever to hear back. Im clearly running out of options though, so it looks likethe decision may be made for me.

#14 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 38,182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

I wish I could resolve it for you but unfortunately I can't. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Gary

#15 JDG123

JDG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

No i think we have done all that we can do here! Thank you for everything! If I end up mailing this back to ASUS I can let you know how it goes if you are interrsted to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users