Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

How to install and configure Conky System Monitor

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

You can search the internet for .conkyrc scripts and use one you like, many of which will be configured to work on particular destops and/or require additional applications to be installed; so here is mine that I can confirm works on KDE, MATE and Gnome3 desktops. It uses minimal system resources and doesn't require any additional software to be installed, and you could use to get you started.

Thank you for this script. I like it. Now I just find that this conky is a bit too wide for my taste. How can I make it a little bit narrower and taller/longer? What changes should I make to the configuration file in this case?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

Heres a bunch of pre made conky's  just follow the simple instructions to install.

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/07/conky-collection-for-ubuntulinux.html

​Very nice !

Thanks for posting .

Although it does encourage the inner lazy person in me .... pick the closest to my ideal , then tweak it .

As another member here has for their sig ..... " If it ain't broken , it's because you haven't tweaked it enough "  :)

Edited by synaptic, 01 January 2017 - 05:53 AM.

#18 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

" If it ain't broken , it's because you haven't tweaked it enough "

I agree, LOL

#19 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

You can search the internet for .conkyrc scripts and use one you like, many of which will be configured to work on particular destops and/or require additional applications to be installed; so here is mine that I can confirm works on KDE, MATE and Gnome3 desktops. It uses minimal system resources and doesn't require any additional software to be installed, and you could use to get you started.

Thank you for this script. I like it. Now I just find that this conky is a bit too wide for my taste. How can I make it a little bit narrower and taller/longer? What changes should I make to the configuration file in this case?

To regulate the width of the conky, add this line to the code that determines the properties of the window. It is above the "TEXT".

maximum_width 290

#20 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

My Advice.

I suggest you back up your .conkyrc, This way if you mess it up you can always replace the messed up one or compare the old and new to see where you went wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users