Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled Windows Services - can't run elevated programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DeltaNiner

DeltaNiner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:19 AM

Hope this hasn't been posted, but I couldn't find anyone with the same problem online.

I was optimizing my computer by selecting which Windows 8.1 services to disable, following Black Viper's guide. I must have accidentally disabled Application Information and a few others because now I can't run any program or tool that requires UAC elevation. Now I need to re-enable these services, but going into services.msc is impossible because I need to elevate it. It gives the following error:

C:\Windows\System32\services.msc

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

A bit of a paradox and catch-22 that could easily be remedied by booting into safe mode and re-enabling them there. However for some reason I get a black screen with the words "Safe mode" flashing, and disappearing in each corner along with the mouse cursor. I've tried all the safe mode boot options and they all do it. No idea why. The only thing I can do is boot into command prompt and use FRST to scan but I don't know how to enable services using the program.

If anyone knows how to enable Application Information and maybe Windows Installer and Windows Modules Installer using FRST I'd be very grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

Have you tried disabling UAC and then trying to enable the required services. 

Try enabling the inbuilt admin account and then see if it allows you enable the required services from that account.

Have you installed any software in order to optimize your system. 

#3 DeltaNiner

DeltaNiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't change UAC settings, precisely because it requires UAC elevation to change those settings. When I click on it nothing happens.

All I really need is someone with some knowledge of Farbar so that I can enable or reset Windows services to default using nothing more than command prompt recovery boot. Really sucks how I can't use safe mode, this problem would have been so easy to fix.

#4 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

OK , there is a much easier way of getting this done. Enabling the inbuilt admin account from cmd under Advanced options.

Go to advanced Option in windows 8.1 and then select troubleshoot and select command prompt.

In cmd type net user administrator /active :Yes. This will enable the administrator account. Log into it and then try to disable UAC from there and also enable the accounts.

Sorry I do not have much info on Farbar..

***If it was me I would first look at the type of my account whether if its an Admin account or Standard. 

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:23 AM

Let's try something...

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from here.

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.

Go to Step 2 and click on Check button next to 1. See If Check Disk Is Needed.
If the tool indicates that the Check Disk is needed click on Do It button next to 2. Check Disk.
In that case make sure you restart your computer.

p22004342.gif

Once the above is done go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22004343.gif

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22004346.gif

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Uncheck everything except for Restore Important Windows Services.

Click on Start button.

p22004347.gif

Post Windows Repair log which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Alex

#6 DeltaNiner

DeltaNiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:20 AM

Thanks to all those who tried to help. Unfortunately none of those methods work without Appinfo running. For some reason, I was finally able to boot into safe mode (must have been my 30th attempt). I was greeted with the login screen. From there I just went into services.msc and re-enabled Application Information. Everything is good now.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

Glad to hear that your problem is solved :)

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users