Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mars~ One Way Trip

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Hark..I never received my volunteer form..did you? :scratchhead:

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/17/8051917/mars-one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

Call me paranoid but this is a scam.

NASA's Huge New Rocket May Cost $500 Million Per Launch

It will cost at least 20 times that to get to mars.

Edited by NickAu, 17 February 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#3 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:54 PM

I don't see how you can possibly get a peopled (manned) Earth-Mars vehicle launch for $500 million.

As the article states, Space Shuttle flights cost $1.5 billion each and never made it out of low earth orbit.  Saturn V's (Apollo missions) were $1.9 billion each (adjusted for inflation) and only designed to fly for two weeks.

Edited by JWebb, 18 February 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

I'm sure the research costs would be enormous, but with something like sklyon as your launch vehicle and then a nuclear thermal or nuclear electric rocket as your interplanetary transfer vehicle i think the cost of a single mars mission could be brought below $500million. If you then did enough trips with the same rockets (skylon would be fully reusable and some of the nucelar rocket deisngs for interplanetary vehicles could have enough delta-V do take the humans to mars and then return on their own to earth for reuse)then the costs might just be that low, the research would cost much more (but if countries halved the salaries of their bureucrats this could be funded without too much trouble)but it would only need to be done once, after which the skylon and interplanetary transfer vehicles may cost a few billion to actually build each one and each could probably be reused so that reduces the cost per mission. When you look at sums like $500 million they seem large but compared to the more wasteful parts of government spending scientific research and space exploration are really cheap, when one sees how small a proportion of government budgets they take up it is clear thye are severely under-funded.

Edited by rp88, 18 February 2015 - 03:00 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users