Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Good day. We just got a new laptop and I just want to make sure that it is at least protected by viruses from flash drives and such. Can you guys suggest me good anti-trojan/viruses/vbscript softwares? At our old netbook, I have AutoRunExterminator installed. Is it also good to have? Right now, I'm still studying how the system goes although I'm quite familiar with it.

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Hello there,

Since there is no "one size fits all" solution, what AV/AM you uses ultimately boils down to personal preference.

If you would be kind and tell us the specs and what the laptop is used for, we will be happy to provide recommendations.

We just got a new laptop and I just want to make sure that it is at least protected by viruses from flash drives and such.

I use Panda USB Vaccine to "vaccinate" flash drives against flash drive infectors - basically it modifies the flash drive to prevent the malware from loading if you plug an infected flash drive into a machine. Then I can scan the flash drive with the resident AV and eliminate the malware before it can jump elsewhere.

Regards,
Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 17 February 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#3 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:14 AM

Sorry for putting it in a wrong section. Well, it's a Notebook that has intel i7 processor.  2Ghz, had Intel graphics 4400, up to 256 Dynamic Video Memory, 4GB DDR3 L Memory and it has 500GB HDD. It's a 64-bit type. I also know that there are lots of AV/AM, but I just want to make sure of things 'cause I don't want to make the same mistakes again. Right now, our previous netbook had MS Defender and AutoRunExterminator as it's protectors. It's a bit slower now but I still feel safe. Pretty much back then, our PC had lots of malware because of my lack of knowledge back in 2010. That's pretty much about it. o.o

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:26 AM

May I ask if you wish to use a free or paid solution?

Nice specs, by the way :)

Alex

#5 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:39 AM

Thanks. It'll have to be free, of course. Oh and, the Notebook will be used for home/office.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:56 AM

Since you are using Windows 8, the built-in Windows Defender is a functional AV program and offers the same protection level as Microsoft Security Essentials. It is enough if combined with safe computing practices.

For AM protection, you can take your pick of either Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Be noted that both have a free version that lacks real-time protection, so you will have to perform scans manually.

May I ask, which browser are you using?

Alex

#7 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:07 AM

I use both firefox and chrome. I have heard chrome has issues, so I just use chrome occassionally. I really use firefox.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I have some suggestions to improve security:

- Remove Java, Flash and Silverlight if you do not use them.

- Adblock Plus for Firefox: This will keep ads out of your surfing, and also reduces the chance that attackers will use malicious ads to infect your machine.

- NoScript for Firefox: This will allow you to block malicious scripts while allowing legit ones. It can take a while to learn which ones to allow or block, but once you got the hang of it then it becomes a very effective tool.

- Web of Trust: Gives you a general idea of what is good and bad via community feedback. Take it with a grain of salt however, as it is not always accurate.

- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit: This is a small app that prevents malware from using exploits - loopholes in apps that they can use - to infiltrate your machine. Just install the app and forget it, it'll do its job automatically.

- CryptoPrevent: This is an app that prevents the execution of crypto ransomware by placing software restrictions into places they are known to start from.

- HitmanPro.Alert: This is an offshoot of the AM scanner HitmanPro that monitors browsers and warns you if they are compromised by banking trojans. It also features the ability to neutralize active crypto ransomware and gives you the option to kill it with HitmanPro, and exploit mitigration similar to MBAE.

- Secunia Personal Software Inspector: This utility helps you in keeping your programs up-to-date by inspecting your machine for any outdated software.

And finally, learn how to keep your computer safe online here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Regards,
Alex

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.The best defensive strategy is to make sure you are running an updated anti-malware product, use security tools capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage and routinely backup your data. Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

These are great articles. I'll give more time on understanding them which would be probably on the weekends 'cause I'm about to take examinations next week. I won't forget these, though. I understand how to back-up data, but I worry about it. I know I might be pretty exaggerating it but is it really possible that viruses / malwares interfere with the data image in the back-up?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Disk Imaging allows you to take a complete snapshot (image) of your hard disk. The image is an exact, byte-by-byte copy of an entire hard drive (partition or logical disk) which can be used to restore your system at a later time to the exact same state the system was when you imaged the disk or partition. Essentially, it will restore the computer to the state it was in when the image was made BEFORE the infection. You will then have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates and patches from Microsoft. Disk imaging is useful for system recovery in case of a hard disk disaster or malware resistant to disinfection. To learn more about how this process works, please refer to:

Disk Imaging & Backup Software:

Free alternatives include:

#12 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

Thanks Alexstrasza and quietman7. I think I had my questions answered by you two. Big thanks to you guys. :D

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:07 AM

You're welcome on behalf of Alexstrasza, myself and the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users