Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam Software question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drauka

Drauka

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hey guy and gals,

I have question or two about webcam software.

I have a logitech c920 webcam and logtechs software, and it works great.

Now I also have Cyberlink YouCam for other usb webcams it also works good.

But i have seen a program called "Manycam" which supports multiple webcam/devices at same time.

The problem I have is knowledge as i have seen tons of reviews that say program is bad and loaded with PUPS that it installs no matter what one chooses.

So my question or issue is, does anyone know if Manycam is safe to use?

It is shown on cnet at http://download.cnet.com/ManyCam/3000-2348_4-10593500.html and normally cnet is safe.

But even there some people post about it being bad and memory hungry and installs PUPS.

Since my computer is very new and I am stil getting to know windows 8, I thought I'd ask here about Manycam.

So if anyone knows of the software and if it's safe please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Drauka

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

The best thing about some softwares nowadays is they are free. If they worked great in features and compatible with your hardware, then it is by all means an option for users to try and install for such comparisons. With regard to acquiring downloads from sources, it is always a practice to look first at the original site to avoid the unwanted bundled that theses sites are hosting but does not necessarily mean all free softwares coming from their mother site does not contain PUPs, toolbars or addons during installation. Make sure to read through the setup and uncheck/opt out for unnecessary installation of certain promoted products that came with the software.

Tekken

#3 Drauka

Drauka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

The best thing about some softwares nowadays is they are free. If they worked great in features and compatible with your hardware, then it is by all means an option for users to try and install for such comparisons. With regard to acquiring downloads from sources, it is always a practice to look first at the original site to avoid the unwanted bundled that theses sites are hosting but does not necessarily mean all free softwares coming from their mother site does not contain PUPs, toolbars or addons during installation. Make sure to read through the setup and uncheck/opt out for unnecessary installation of certain promoted products that came with the software.

Hey jhayz,

thanks for the response to my post.

It was not cnet I was worried about as I know their software installer works with no pups unless you want them.

My concern is with Manycam software directly as reviews are all over the map and some say pups or malware and others say clean.

So I was hoping someone here may have it or have tried it and could say if they find/found it good or bad.

Anyways thanks again for your help.

Drauka

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

I have used manycam previously since XP but cannot give the high recommendation as only using it on trial or free (limited) in actual (versus reviews) would give you the reason if its worth installing and using it based on the features provided. The homepage would give you the idea of what to expect with their product. With regard to the PUP/Adware stuff with the software, the warning on this link provided by snapfiles or as written FYI will give the main reason as due to sponsorship. Only great thing is when installing as you are aware is, you can avoid this during setup so it is still considered trusted in my opinion.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users