Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows or software causing latency spikes.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Polyrhythem

Polyrhythem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

So I am pretty certain I'm having a PC side issue which is causing my pings to spike once per minute. I have talked with my isp and other technicians for long enough now to have eliminated all of the expected hardware / modem / isp network issues. They've changed the fittings on the modem/router (it's a combination one) and checked all the numbers, got the signal under control because it was getting overpowered at first, scanned for the wireless channel with the least noise and set the router to permanently use the channel as opposed to auto-scanning every minute (not that I could see this affecting the wired connection anyways).

If I ping my router constantly (or any website, or run a tracert etc.) I will see a large spike in latency (up to 4000ms) once per 60 seconds, this only occurs when running my standard win7 boot from my SSD, if I run windows from another hard drive or from this SSD but in safe mode with networking the spikes do not occur at all. Other devices such as tablets and my phone do not experience the spikes on the same network.

Network drivers are updated, I have run malwarebytes, ccleaner, adwcleaner, roguekiller, combofix and removed everything they found. I have tried disabling windows firewall (I re-enabled when it did not solve the issue), I have tried a couple of network tcp optimization tools. Nothing has solved the issue yet, I have already asked on various networking forums and no one can figure it out.

I have tried closing all processes that I can minus the vital system ones which cannot be closed and the ping spikes still occur unless in safe mode with networking.

Any ideas about something in the registry or otherwise that could cause this?

Edited by Polyrhythem, 17 February 2015 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

What is your Security Suite? Have you ever had avast as security software? Have you tried uninstalling  your Security software and then checking your latency? Do you get the spikes when connected via Ethernet?

You may get a better response posting in the Networking Forum.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 February 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#3 Polyrhythem

Polyrhythem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

I have used avast in the past yes but I uninstalled it pretty far back unless there are some remnants lurking around, I get the spikes regardless of wired or wireless connection. I've asked tons of networking guys but nobody has a clue when it comes to internal windows stuff.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,613 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

I can't say what it is but if you get spikes using wireless and Ethernet, I would say it's a software issue especially since you do not get any spikes in safe mode. I can't say for sure but try running Process Explorer. That may give a clue. Autoruns would also tell you if a past driver is trying to load, one that did not get deleted but is still loading from the registry.

Go to Device Manager and in the menu bar select show hidden devices. Look under the category of non plug and play drivers. Look for anything there related to avast. I have heard of people that had avast premium with the firewall still having latency issues.

If your security suite includes a firewall, I would uninstall it and see if it helps.

#5 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

open resource monitor and watch networking to see what changes

#6 Polyrhythem

Polyrhythem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

I can't say what it is but if you get spikes using wireless and Ethernet, I would say it's a software issue especially since you do not get any spikes in safe mode. I can't say for sure but try running Process Explorer. That may give a clue. Autoruns would also tell you if a past driver is trying to load, one that did not get deleted but is still loading from the registry.

Go to Device Manager and in the menu bar select show hidden devices. Look under the category of non plug and play drivers. Look for anything there related to avast. I have heard of people that had avast premium with the firewall still having latency issues.

If your security suite includes a firewall, I would uninstall it and see if it helps.

Watching process explorer for a couple minutes I'd see things pop up under svchost for a split second that were highlighted in dark red but they were gone so fast it was hard to tell what they are, I have no idea how the use the program though. Are any of these things I should remove? -->

device_manager.png

UPDATE: I don't really know how to see where the spikes in my network resource monitor are actually coming from but I noticed that a mediamallserver.exe service which was running was using a little more networking resources on average than most applications so I hit 'stop' on it in services.msc and all of a sudden the issue is gone, may have been that. Is there some way to permanently get rid of it? If I remember stopping a service only lasts until reboot.

Edited by Polyrhythem, 17 February 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,613 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

That was some nice troubleshooting. If you see it it services you should be able to disable it.

You can also use AutoRuns to block the startup. Search through Autoruns for mediamallserver.exe and uncheck the box next to it. Should be under the Service tab.

http://www.file.net/process/mediamallserver.exe.html

#8 Polyrhythem

Polyrhythem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

Oh derp, msconfig, found it. Problem solved thanks.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,826 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

FWIW

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users