Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Built My First Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hello All,

I just built my first computer, even though I am not computer literate or a computer aficionado or anything. Mostly I just built it to show my Grandchildren the basics about computer technology, but I also was interested in learning things for myself as well as getting a feather to put into my hat. It is a basic build with an Intel i5 4690 CPU and an Asus Z97-A motherboard. I went with an SSD drive for speed, and I have a 700 watt PSU. The whole thing was fun and I have not had any issues to date, but I am still working out some little software limitations. I am running Microsoft Office Professional 2010 for all of my everyday tasks and Adobe Elements 13 for my photo and video editing. I have a lot of audio software on my system including foobar2000 which I find to be indispensable, Audacity for some basic audio editing, dbPower Amp for ripping and converting and an old Roxio Pro for burning. The whole experience of building a computer from scratch was fun, and I hope it encourages my Grandchildren to learn more about computer science.  

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

Congrats ! I still remember my first build ... It was a joy of an 80286 processor and a 20 megabyte MFM hard card with 2 floppy drives.  It served me well playing games like Wizardry and Kings Quest !  I am glad your first experience went well!

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

I built my first system about 6 months months ago, I used pcpartpicker to figure out what parts were compatible with what-http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KYsXFT, except for ram which I stuck to my motherboard manufacturer's list of supported ram. I actually ordered the parts from Amazon, not through pcpartpicker, and added in some things I salvaged from my old system (keyboard, mouse, speakers, dvd writer and an external hd). 

It was a lot simpler than I was afraid it might be, and for any step of the building process if I was wondering exactly what to do or what to look out for, I just had to do a google search to find articles and u-tube clips that explained everything. Everything is running fine, and this new pc seems to a lot more capable than I actually need right now.

Edited by yu gnomi, 17 February 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:40 AM

I built my first system about 6 months months ago, I used pcpartpicker to figure out what parts were compatible with what-http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KYsXFT, except for ram which I stuck to my motherboard manufacturer's list of supported ram. I actually ordered the parts from Amazon, not through pcpartpicker, and added in some things I salvaged from my old system (keyboard, mouse, speakers, dvd writer and an external hd). 

It was a lot simpler than I was afraid it might be, and for any step of the building process if I was wondering exactly what to do or what to look out for, I just had to do a google search to find articles and u-tube clips that explained everything. Everything is running fine, and this new pc seems to a lot more capable than I actually need right now.

Yes, I definitely watched a lot of videos on YouTube. Great resource. This whole adventure has been fun and I am excited to be hanging out with all the knowledgeable people here.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

Another perk is that now you know your computer thoroughly and will not have to rely on expensive shops when something goes wrong-you can take care of it yourself!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

Another perk is that now you know your computer thoroughly and will not have to rely on expensive shops when something goes wrong-you can take care of it yourself!

Yes, that's true. The whole experience has been fun and I hope that it encourages my Grandchildren to get interested in computers.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hi, i am looking to undertake my first build sometime later this year (might wait for W10 release).  I also watch a lot of You tube vids especially those by Cary Holzman to gain information.  My only worry is wiring up the parts to the motherboard, I should be ok but those of us who are inexperienced and learn what we can from watching vids and reading mags could find it difficult if any problems occur.  How did you go about making sure you knew the correct procedures for wiring?  Also, did you buy retail or OEM Windows?  I am thinking of buying retail so that I can use the disk to re-install if I have problems further down the line.

I will be asking the forum for advice on parts when the time comes.

Thanks

Dave (UK) 

Edited by dsteeley, 20 February 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

As far as all of the wires go, it is much simpler that it might at first seem. There really are only a few things that you have to wire up, your hard drive and optical drive and the power cables. Even though this was my first build and I had zero experience, it is really quite simple and straight forward. And of course I was building it on the kitchen table. If I needed more info I still had my old computer hooked up and ready to watch more videos. But I actually didn't need any more help. The biggest thrill of all is plugging it in and seeing the bios screen for the first time, and then inserting a disc into the optical drive and seeing the Microsoft emblem pop up on the screen. As far as my Windows 8 disc, I bought it on ebay and it was advertised as OEM, complete Windows 64 bit. Perfect for the systems builder it said. I didn't know much about anything when I bought the disc, which I bought a couple of months before I built the machine. I wanted to have it handy, and I figured after I bought the disc I was committed to building the PC. No turning back after I paid good money for the OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hi RB, thanks for the reply.  Enjoy your rig.

Dave

#10 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:39 AM

My first build failed

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:28 AM

My first build failed

I have read quite a bit here and at other sites that this is common for a first build. But with some quick diagnosis you should be able to figure out exactly what went wrong so that you can correct it. Since this was my first build, my biggest problem was connecting the heat sink and fan assemble to the mother board without damaging anything. Good luck on getting your system together.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users