Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Shows Empty but it's not. HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ECNYC20

ECNYC20

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

I have a Western Digital, 1.0TB SATA/64MB Cache....model WD10EARS. It's an external hard drive that quit working, or so it seems. I took it out of it's case, unfortunately, thinking I could fix it. No luck. Getting it to run isn't the problem. When connected, the computer says it's empty. I know for a fact that can't be true.

There are 100's of pictures of my family that I desperately want.The problem is how to get the data off the hard drive. Running a data recovery software provided only the pages for the owner's manual. Where is all my pics and docs?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

"It's an external hard drive that quit working, or so it seems"

--- Please explain exactly what "quit working" means; error messages?

"When connected, the computer says it's empty"

--- What's the error message?

When was the last time it was working properly?

--- What's different since then?

Can you check out Disk Management to see how it does/doesn't show up?

#3 ECNYC20

ECNYC20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

Quit working means that I could no longer access it from the laptop. I could not get it to open.

It does show up on Disk Management. No error message. When I click on properties it shows almost 100% free space. That just can't be.

It's been a year now since it worked. Not being too knowledgeable about such things, I'm guessing the data is still there, I just don't have the expertese to know what else to do to find the missing data.

#4 girlguru

girlguru

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

(You waited a whole year?)  Let's hope the firmware hasn't failed.  What recovery software did you try? Can you open the drive through My Computer?  Does it show a blank window?  IF not, is the drive listed as offline in Disk Management?  You can click on "offline" to set it as online.  Or, is it listed as unpartitioned or a RAW file system?  Does it show as NTFS formatted?  A screen shot of the disk in disk management would be helpful.

#5 ECNYC20

ECNYC20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

After I removed the drive from it's case, I realized I was not able to
install it on my Compaq Presario Desktop because of the difference in the
connections. I took the drive to a guy that runs a computer repair shop out
of his garage. He hooked up the drive and showed me what I know now. As far
as answering your great insightful questions, I'll guess I'll need to go
somewhere and buy the necessary conversions to be able to hook the drive up
to USB connections. I'll reply as soon as I'm able to get the drive up and
running again. Thanks!!

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

"I took the drive to a guy that runs a computer repair shop out of his garage"

--- Even though it will cost a few dollars, it might make sense to have him check for the data you believe is on there.

--- That way you won't be looking for what you guess should be there

#7 ECNYC20

ECNYC20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

I took the drive back to the computer repair guy. He said he's done all he can do. Leads me to believe he's not as educated about hard drives as he pretends. He suggested wraping it up in a towel and putting it in my freezer over night. He believes that may help. I'm not sure. Hard to believe I had 30-40KB of data on there and can't find it. Anyway, I got the drive back. I intend on getting a conversion to hook the drive up to my USB port on my desktop. What should I be looking for and/or what should I try first?

Edited by ECNYC20, 18 February 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#8 ECNYC20

ECNYC20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

Is it possible that the data on the drive is somehow encrypted?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

Was this a hard drive you put in your own enclosure? If not what was the model of the WD enclosure. WD does have encryption.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-self-encrypting-drive-you-may-already-own/

http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

Some of the portable WD drives use a proprietary card with the micro USB soldered directly to the PCB and not a separate USB bridge card which is a big mistake if you ask me.

http://tidelog.kitamuracomputers.net/2013/05/31/recovering-data-from-wd-elements-drive-when-the-usb-connector-is-broken/

#10 ECNYC20

ECNYC20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

It came from a Western Digital My Book. I was using it as a storage drive on my Laptop. When the external hard drive failed, I removed it from it's case. I thought I'd be able to plug it up to my Compaq Presario Desktop. I discovered that was impossible. No biggie since I had all the data on my laptop. That was 2 years ago. Last year, My laptop was stolen from my apartment. Not having any copies of my valuable family pics and vids, I then hoped I could salvage the external hard drive. Of course, the original case is long since trashed. I'm hoping to be able to find a way to get access to the 40KB of Data. Suggestions?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

The only thing I can suggest is to scan it with Easeus Data Recovery. It will recovery 1GB of data for free. After that you would need ot purchase a key. You said you need to recover 40KB of data. That is very small. Did you mean 40GB?

#12 ECNYC20

ECNYC20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

I apologize. Yes 40GB. The guy I had look at it tried an expensive data recovery software on it. Can't think of the name of it. But, that's how he found the pages to the owner's manual and nothing else. Any other suggestions?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

If his expensive data recovery software did not find it, Easeus probably would not either but it's worth a try as it will show you any data that can be recovered. Other than that you would need to send the drive to a professional data recovery service that uses a clean room. That is not cheap, usually a minimum of $1000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users