Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade To Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hello All,

I am currently running a standard version of Windows 8.1 but I would like to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro with the Media Center. Is there a cheap/free way to do this that is legitimate, I don't want no gray method. I guess I bought my operating system without doing any research. Thanks in advance.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hi Rocky :)

From what I can read on Microsoft website, you can only install the "Windows Media Center Pack" from a Windows 8.1 Professional installation. If you have the standard Windows 8.1, you won't be able to install the Media Center Pack. Therefore you'll have to buy Windows 8.1 Professional followed by the Media Center Pack, or just buy "Windows 8.1 Professional with Windows Media Center". In anyway, you cannot buy the pack separately for your current edition of Windows 8.1.

To install Windows 8.1 Pro Pack, you must be running Windows 8.1; to install Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack, you must be running Windows 8.1 Pro.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs

To be honest, there's no "cheap" way, nor is there a "free" way to get a copy of a Windows OS. The only way to get "free" copies if via MSDN, but even there you have to pay for a licence so it's not really free. What you'll have to do here is to shop online and throught retail stores to find the cheapest price for a copy of Windows 8.1 Professional with Windows Media Center.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

Thanks. Unfortunately that is what I thought but I figured that somebody here might have some different info that might clue me in to a cheaper method. Thanks again.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

Maybe one of the Microsoft MVPs here would know about that, but from my experience, you don't often find Microsoft and cheap in the same sentence :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Maybe one of the Microsoft MVPs here would know about that, but from my experience, you don't often find Microsoft and cheap in the same sentence :)

Ha! Ha! Ha! I know what you mean!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users